Old 12-23-2007, 07:19 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

Default Form widgets on fpo website

Hi,

I don't know who made CSS for fpo, but he should know, that native
widgets look better than rectangular ugly ones...

Especially when Firefox 3 is gonna arrive very quickly.

--
__ _ ___
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek / _|___ __| |___ _ _ __ _ ( _ )

Old 12-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Michael Beckwith

Concerns like this should go to the fedora-websites-list

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:

Hi,

I don't know who made CSS for fpo, but he should know, that native
widgets look better than rectangular ugly ones...

Especially when Firefox 3 is gonna arrive very quickly.

~Michael
http://ridleytx.structed.net (for now)
http://michaelbox.net (eventually)

Old 12-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Kevin Kofler

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I don't know who made CSS for fpo, but he should know, that native
> widgets look better than rectangular ugly ones...

Could it be that your browser sucks? ;-) Konqueror is showing me only native
form widgets on fedoraproject.org.

Kevin Kofler

Old 12-24-2007, 10:26 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

Mine browser doesn't suck, silly.

Konqueror doesn't support styled forms. Run Firefox 2 and then Firefox
3.

FF2 - ugly non-gtk widgets on websites.
FF3 - beautiful gtk widgets on websites and those rectangular piece
of... rectangle.

Dnia 24-12-2007, pon o godzinie 23:01 +0000, Kevin Kofler pisze:
> Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > I don't know who made CSS for fpo, but he should know, that native
> > widgets look better than rectangular ugly ones...
>
> Could it be that your browser sucks? ;-) Konqueror is showing me only native
> form widgets on fedoraproject.org.
>
> Kevin Kofler

__ _ ___
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek / _|___ __| |___ _ _ __ _ ( _ )
Fedora Project | _/ -_) _` / _ '_/ _` | / _
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/ |_| \___\__,_\___/_| \__,_| \___/

Old 12-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Kevin Kofler

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Konqueror doesn't support styled forms.

And I'd say that's a good thing, for the exact reason you describe. I haven't
tried the KDE 4 version yet though, they might have "fixed" it.

Kevin Kofler

Old 12-25-2007, 10:08 AM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

But it doesn't change the fact. Form styling (not the alignment, the
appearance css part) MUST be removed or changed to non-rectangular
(rectangles were nice in win9x epoch).

Dnia 24-12-2007, pon o godzinie 23:53 +0000, Kevin Kofler pisze:
> Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Konqueror doesn't support styled forms.
>
> And I'd say that's a good thing, for the exact reason you describe. I haven't
> tried the KDE 4 version yet though, they might have "fixed" it.
>
> Kevin Kofler

__ _ ___
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek / _|___ __| |___ _ _ __ _ ( _ )
Fedora Project | _/ -_) _` / _ '_/ _` | / _
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/ |_| \___\__,_\___/_| \__,_| \___/

Old 12-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Michael Beckwith

Well, you can do the appealing to the people that be that dictate the
default appearance of any sort of basic form appearance for forms. It's
nothing that the art or the website team have anything to do with.
Until you can appeal to the people that set this, you can either use a
browser that supports styled forms, or put up with it.

On a personal note, I am not really all that bothered by whatever form
widgets are on* fedoraproject.org root url. Only one I see is the one
to switch the language, which is small enough and out of the way enough
to not worry about personally.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:14 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

Exactly that widgets should not be styled.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Michael Beckwith

I see nothing wrong with styling it for those who have support for it.
It's a web accessability thing. Ability to style it and see a nice
looking form, or if your browser doesn't support it, then it still gets
form controls with the universal default which still allows it to be
useable. If your complaint is that the styled version is "90ish" with a
square appearance, then I will reconsider my arguements.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:29 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

You don't understand. Rectangular widgets, non-native are ugly and
they're making websites looking more out-of-the-box, what's wrong.