Old 12-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Doug Berry

Default Picture book....

Thanks for that, I'll contact them right away.
I need to change some advise I gave about the
high resolution and dpi quality we would need
for the pictures we might use.

Apparently we do not need to enhance them
passed say 300 dpi and not the higher figures
I have been quoting. And 300 dpi is nothing,
you could probably enhance most web graphics
to that and they would be okay.

300 dpi may well be obtainable with the
typical digital camera. So that means most
of the photos we get will be usable. Of course,
in a way, that may present additional problems:
we may get swamped.

I am asking pubs and printers for estimates
on a 130 page 4-color 8.5 by 11.0 Perfect
Bound plain paper book. We can change any
of that, but 8.5 by 11 is a very good size
because it is one of the standards. They
usually print everything that size or smaller
on US Letter or A4, and then cut it to size.
8.5 by 11 would only require edge trimming
which may get us a better price.

So, tell you what. It Xmas week next week.
everyone will be out this weekend, in the
malls. Wander into Borders or Barnes and
look at some of the photo and coffee table
books they have. Maybe we would want to go
bigger, or square? What do you think?

-- w Douglas Berry --
slasherzee@fedoraproject.org