Old 12-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Kerrin Catallozzi

Default FUDCon Marketing?

John-
Could we get some help from the RHT Communications people to start a
campaign now that builds up to the actual event? Maybe first starting
with a press release?
I would suggest a blog on www.press.redhat.com. We use this press blog
to distribute news to our reporters, analysts and others, and we've
posted multiple blogs from the "Fedora Team" about Fedora 7 and Fedora 8
that Max has contributed. This would be a great place to start the
conversation and be able to continue it later with updates. We just
need someone to volunteer to either send along main points to include,
and our team will draft the blog, or to write up the initial draft and
send to me. Let me know if you have questions.

thanks,
Kerri

Kerri Catallozzi
Red Hat Corporate Communications
o: 919.754.4268
More news, more often: www.press.redhat.com

Old 12-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay

Old 12-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Karsten Wade

Here's an initial draft. Once we have consensus, we can move it over to
the RHT press blog. I *think* I am a writer on that blog, so I can do
the byline if Kerri et al wish.

I wrote this from a personal viewpoint, since that is the flavor at
www.press.redhat.com, which I happen to agree with. But the facts
should be general. Also, if anyone has a better approach, go for it!
In fact, we could publish several postings from several perspectives.

### begin

The <a href="http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon">FUDCon</a> (Fedora
User and Developer Conference) has once again sprung to life, this time
coming to Raleigh, NC 11 to 13 January 2008 for a meeting of the minds
near Red Hat HQ. <a href="http://barcamp.org/FUDConRaleigh2008">Sign
Raleigh, you are welcome to attend. We're serious. Come.

Started a few years ago as a grassroots conference with a bootstrappers
budget, FUDCon has slowly grown in size and importance. These days at a
FUDCon, decisions are made about the next few releases of Fedora,
hackfests are held to produce code, content, and design, and leaders,
doers, and users meet to talk about just what they want.

FUDCons</a> were held in Boston (<a
href="http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon/FUDConBoston2007">2007</a>,
<a
href="http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon/FUDConBoston2006">2006</a>,
href="">Berlin</a>, <a

At FUDCon Boston 2007 we had what I felt was one of our most successful
FUDCons. The conference sessions were held as a <a
href="http://barcamp.org">BarCamp</a>-style, with session topics and
schedule finalized the morning of the event. Over the weekend we held a
big hackfest, with hacks held by everyone from <a
href="http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure">Fedora
Infrastructure</a> to <a
href="http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging">packagers</a> doing final
reviews for a merged Core and Extras. For me, the hackfest started
Saturday morning and finished Sunday night when we all started to fall
asleep in someone's hotel room.

The hackfest event I was most involved in resulted in a new, streamlined
process for <a href="http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join">joining Fedora
as a contributor</a>. We worked out the target audiences via use cases
on a whiteboard with comments from Fedorans who joined us or happened to
be in our corner of the room, and while <a
href="http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MairinDuffy">Mo</a> drew up the cool
icons, I whipped together the wiki pages to make it all happen. By the
next day we were announcing new pages and a new process for all projects
to follow, helping to improve new contributors joining experience.

At previous FUDCons, this happened, and so did that.

At LinuxTag FUDCon, organizers did that, and this was the result

[[Help with more cool FUDCon history.]]

While I can't make any <em>forward looking statements</em> for the
Project in general, the future of FUDCon is definitely looking good to
me. One thing I'd like to hear about is a more fixed schedule for at
least some of the FUDCons, such as the one(s) held in the United States.

Bio -- Karsten Wade is a Fedora Project Board member, currently leads
the Fedora Documentation Project, and works as a developer community
manager for Red Hat.

## 30 ##

--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org

Old 12-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Mike McGrath

John Poelstra wrote:
I thought Mike McGrath started a good idea with the thread about a
banner ad... what else are we doing to spread the word about FUDCon?
I haven't seen any external press.

For those that haven't seen it we do have a fudcon banner rotating on
http://fedoraproject.org/ refresh it a few times. Its a new mechanism
for us so if you don't see it or its broken let us know.

-Mike

Old 12-13-2007, 03:27 PM
John Poelstra

I thought Mike McGrath started a good idea with the thread about a
banner ad... what else are we doing to spread the word about FUDCon?
I haven't seen any external press.

For those that haven't seen it we do have a fudcon banner rotating on
http://fedoraproject.org/ refresh it a few times. Its a new mechanism
for us so if you don't see it or its broken let us know.

-Mike

It is being blocked by AdBlock on Firefox3b1 for me. I really think we
need to add the specific dates... "2008" is too vague and the event is
less than 30 days away!

John

Old 12-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Clint Savage

John Poelstra wrote:

I thought Mike McGrath started a good idea with the thread about a
banner ad... what else are we doing to spread the word about FUDCon?
I haven't seen any external press.

For those that haven't seen it we do have a fudcon banner rotating on
http://fedoraproject.org/ refresh it a few times. Its a new
mechanism for us so if you don't see it or its broken let us know.

-Mike

It is being blocked by AdBlock on Firefox3b1 for me. I really think we
need to add the specific dates... "2008" is too vague and the event is
less than 30 days away!

John

Adblock is blocking it for me as well...

Clint

Old 12-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Jonathan Roberts

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 08:27 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> Mike McGrath said the following on 12/13/2007 08:14 AM Pacific Time:
> > John Poelstra wrote:
> >> I thought Mike McGrath started a good idea with the thread about a
> >> banner ad... what else are we doing to spread the word about FUDCon?
> >> I haven't seen any external press.
> >
> > For those that haven't seen it we do have a fudcon banner rotating on
> > http://fedoraproject.org/ refresh it a few times. Its a new mechanism
> > for us so if you don't see it or its broken let us know.
> >
> > -Mike
> >

> It is being blocked by AdBlock on Firefox3b1 for me. I really think we
> need to add the specific dates... "2008" is too vague and the event is
> less than 30 days away!

I've made a version which says "11-13 Jan 2008" if anybody thinks that's
any better:

http://questionsplease.org/fedora/fudcon-date-banner.png

Best,

Jon

Old 12-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Mike McGrath

Clint Savage wrote:

John Poelstra wrote:

I thought Mike McGrath started a good idea with the thread about a
banner ad... what else are we doing to spread the word about
FUDCon? I haven't seen any external press.

For those that haven't seen it we do have a fudcon banner rotating
on http://fedoraproject.org/ refresh it a few times. Its a new
mechanism for us so if you don't see it or its broken let us know.

-Mike

It is being blocked by AdBlock on Firefox3b1 for me. I really think
we need to add the specific dates... "2008" is too vague and the
event is less than 30 days away!

John

Adblock is blocking it for me as well...

In fairness... it is an ad

-Mike

Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 AM
"Robert 'Bob' Jensen"

John Poelstra wrote:
I thought Mike McGrath started a good idea with the thread about a
banner ad... what else are we doing to spread the word about FUDCon? I
haven't seen any external press.

Some folks have mentioned spreading the word via blog postings, but that
seems to be more announcing to ourselves instead of the outside world.

Could we get some help from the RHT Communications people to start a
campaign now that builds up to the actual event? Maybe first starting
with a press release?

This seems like a great opportunity to call attention to what is
different about Fedora conferences... things like the admission fee
being approximately $895 USD less than what it cost to attend the other
distro's recent conference in Portland, Oregon in July 2007?

But then maybe it isn't fair to compare these two conferences because
they have a different purpose as do the distributions? ;-)

John

I asked daMaestro to add a banner to all the Fedora Unity Sites tonight
and as always he came through for me.

Thanks to all those that worked on the banner, we used the version from
Jonathan Roberts BTW.

Robert 'Bob' Jensen
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BobJensen
KC0WYC