FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Marketing

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Nicu Buculei
 
Default First banner ad!

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

I've just modified the fudcon logo from Mairin and the used an infinity
wall paper for the background to mirror the current banner up on fp.org
inline with Mike's request for the new banner to match the colour
scheme.


I've attached both the png and the svg so maybe it might be of some
use If not, no problem - it was fun to play!


Simple and nice, good work. I believe it should say "2008".
And maybe add some color to the logo? A light halo?

Hint: when sharing such a SVG it may be useful to embed the PNG
(Inkscape: Effects > Imags > Embed All Images), the file size will grow
a lot but it will be possible for others to play with it.


--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com
Cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
Open Clip Art Library: http://www.openclipart.org
my Fedora stuff: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Jonathan Roberts
 
Default First banner ad!

> Simple and nice, good work. I believe it should say "2008".
> And maybe add some color to the logo? A light halo?

OK, I've changed it to say 2008, but as for colours on the logo I don't
know becuase it seems hard to find colours that will work with the
background. Also, I could not figure out the Halo options under effects
> generate from path, it seemed to do nothing!
>
> Hint: when sharing such a SVG it may be useful to embed the PNG
> (Inkscape: Effects > Imags > Embed All Images), the file size will grow
> a lot but it will be possible for others to play with it.

I've done this too now, so at least you can all play with it and make
the tweaks you think

Find it here:

http://questionsplease.org/fedora/fudcon-banner.svg (caution, this is
3.3mb!)

and the original source for the fudcon logo:

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/art/logos/fudcon/fudcon-logos.svg

and the original source for the background:

http://people.redhat.com/duffy/artwork/infinity-24/pm02.png

Best,

Jon
>

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Nicu Buculei
 
Default First banner ad!

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

Simple and nice, good work. I believe it should say "2008".
And maybe add some color to the logo? A light halo?


OK, I've changed it to say 2008, but as for colours on the logo I don't
know becuase it seems hard to find colours that will work with the


Do you know Agave - http://home.gna.org/colorscheme/ (yum install
agave)? Is a wonderful tool for the job, will help you to find matching
colors.



background. Also, I could not figure out the Halo options under effects


The halo effect is a remaining from before Inkscape had the Gaussian
Blur filter and is a poor way to fake it (it work only on paths, no
objects like ellipses or text which have to be converted to paths, no
groups, etc.)
The best way to create a halo effect is to make a duplicate of your
object (if is a group then ungroup and do an union), outset and then
apply Gaussian Blur, maybe decrease the opacity.


--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com
Cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
Open Clip Art Library: http://www.openclipart.org
my Fedora stuff: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Jonathan Roberts
 
Default First banner ad!

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 12:55 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> >> Simple and nice, good work. I believe it should say "2008".
> >> And maybe add some color to the logo? A light halo?
> >
> > OK, I've changed it to say 2008, but as for colours on the logo I don't
> > know becuase it seems hard to find colours that will work with the
>
> Do you know Agave - http://home.gna.org/colorscheme/ (yum install
> agave)? Is a wonderful tool for the job, will help you to find matching
> colors.
>
> > background. Also, I could not figure out the Halo options under effects
>
> The halo effect is a remaining from before Inkscape had the Gaussian
> Blur filter and is a poor way to fake it (it work only on paths, no
> objects like ellipses or text which have to be converted to paths, no
> groups, etc.)
> The best way to create a halo effect is to make a duplicate of your
> object (if is a group then ungroup and do an union), outset and then
> apply Gaussian Blur, maybe decrease the opacity.

Cool, thanks for the advice

You can find a new version of it at
http://questionsplease.org/fedora/drawing.png

and I've also updated the svg:

http://questionsplease.org/fedora/fudcon-banner.svg

Any more feedback? I hope it's not too blurred now!

Best wishes,

Jon
>

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Nicu Buculei
 
Default First banner ad!

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

You can find a new version of it at
http://questionsplease.org/fedora/drawing.png

and I've also updated the svg:

http://questionsplease.org/fedora/fudcon-banner.svg

Any more feedback? I hope it's not too blurred now!


You can play with file size optimization: open it with GIMP, convert
from RGB to indexed trying various dithering methods, all of them will
look uglier but will hugely reduce the file size.


--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com
Cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
Open Clip Art Library: http://www.openclipart.org
my Fedora stuff: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Jonathan Roberts
 
Default First banner ad!

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 15:10 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > You can find a new version of it at
> > http://questionsplease.org/fedora/drawing.png
> >
> > and I've also updated the svg:
> >
> > http://questionsplease.org/fedora/fudcon-banner.svg
> >
> > Any more feedback? I hope it's not too blurred now!
>
> You can play with file size optimization: open it with GIMP, convert
> from RGB to indexed trying various dithering methods, all of them will
> look uglier but will hugely reduce the file size.

OK, I've got the file size down to about 9kb compared to 23kb - and it
doesn't really look much worse either...

http://questionsplease.org/fedora/fudcon-banner-dither4.png

Jon
>

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Nicu Buculei
 
Default First banner ad!

Jonathan Roberts wrote:


OK, I've got the file size down to about 9kb compared to 23kb - and it
doesn't really look much worse either...

http://questionsplease.org/fedora/fudcon-banner-dither4.png


See, you can quickly become a pro!

--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com
Cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
Open Clip Art Library: http://www.openclipart.org
my Fedora stuff: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Jonathan Roberts
 
Default First banner ad!

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 17:32 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> >
> > OK, I've got the file size down to about 9kb compared to 23kb - and it
> > doesn't really look much worse either...
> >
> > http://questionsplease.org/fedora/fudcon-banner-dither4.png
>
> See, you can quickly become a pro!

Heh, thanks to all your help!!! Hopefully it's useful

Jon
>

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Ricky Zhou
 
Default First banner ad!

On 2007-12-10 03:49:15 PM, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Heh, thanks to all your help!!! Hopefully it's useful
Wow, that looks great! It's definitely very useful, and if you don't
mind, it'll be going up in the next few minutes (it should rotate with
the current banner).

Thanks a lot,
Ricky
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Jonathan Roberts
 
Default First banner ad!

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 17:31 -0500, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> On 2007-12-10 03:49:15 PM, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Heh, thanks to all your help!!! Hopefully it's useful
> Wow, that looks great! It's definitely very useful, and if you don't
> mind, it'll be going up in the next few minutes (it should rotate with
> the current banner).

Super cool

Jon
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Ricky
> _______________________________________________
> Fedora-art-list mailing list
> Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
> http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:43 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org