Old 12-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Jonathan Roberts

Default Banners

Hi all,

Not sure if this should be cross-posted to Fedora websites team as
well...

What do people think about getting some banners together for the fp.org?
I feel bad for asking as I'm creatively challenged(!) and wouldn't be
much assistance in putting them together, but I thought it would be good
if we could put banners up advertising FWN when it's released, or the
various spins that are now available?

Mike McGrath suggested using some javascript to pick which banner to
display randomly, with weighting for events like the release of FWN. I
think I've just about got enough skills to put this bit of things
together if people were interested to create the banners?

Appreciate people are busy and might not have the time for something
like this...

Jon

Old 12-02-2007, 05:23 PM
"Francesco Ugolini"

Good idea. Actually we have a wiki page that contain some banners ( fedoraproject.org/wiki/wiki/Marketing/Banners) made by Fedora Contributors.

Best regards

Francesco Ugolini

Old 12-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Nicu Buculei

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

What do people think about getting some banners together for the fp.org?
I feel bad for asking as I'm creatively challenged(!) and wouldn't be
much assistance in putting them together, but I thought it would be good
if we could put banners up advertising FWN when it's released, or the
various spins that are now available?

Sure, and we already did some such banners (like the countdown to F8
release and some other designs).
One good start would be to define which size(s) do we want to use
(468x60, others?) and then assembly a list with themes, events, slogans.

I think banner creation is a process where is easy to jump in and would
be suitable even for new members of the Art Team. Of course, there are
areas where we need to take care (file size, logo usage), but this is
why we are a team.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Rodrigo Padula de Oliveira

Old 12-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Jonathan Roberts

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 13:23 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > What do people think about getting some banners together for the fp.org?
> > I feel bad for asking as I'm creatively challenged(!) and wouldn't be
> > much assistance in putting them together, but I thought it would be good
> > if we could put banners up advertising FWN when it's released, or the
> > various spins that are now available?
>
> Sure, and we already did some such banners (like the countdown to F8
> release and some other designs).
> One good start would be to define which size(s) do we want to use
> (468x60, others?) and then assembly a list with themes, events, slogans.

Hey, sorry for the slowness of my reply to this.

I think Re: size of the banner, we could stick to that used for the
countdown to F8 and the current F8 banner as it fits the websites
perfectly. What do people think? Or were people thinking it might be
good to put a banner across the top? I'm worried that might start to
make the pages look a bit heavy...

As for a list of themes, events and slogans:

* FUDCon (as suggested by Mike)
* The various spins of F8:
* Electronics Lab
* Games Spin
* Developer Spin
* GNOME
* KDE
* Rawhide (?)
* Fedora Weekly News
* Documentation
* Get Involved

Just some suggestions. Feedback? Anybody interested in jumping in and
getting started?!

Best wishes all,

Jon

Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Nicu Buculei

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

As for a list of themes, events and slogans:

* FUDCon (as suggested by Mike)
* The various spins of F8:
* Electronics Lab
* Games Spin

Here is a (potentially controversial) fun I had about "games" in a
banner format:

- full quality PNG: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/artwork/funny/games_banner.png
- optimized for size (indexed):
http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/artwork/funny/games_banner_indexed.png
- stupid GIF animation:
http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/artwork/funny/games_banner.gif
- SVG source for all this:
http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/artwork/funny/games_banner.svg

* Developer Spin
* GNOME
* KDE
* Rawhide (?)
* Fedora Weekly News
* Documentation
* Get Involved

Old 12-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Jonathan Roberts

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 11:34 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > As for a list of themes, events and slogans:
> >
> > * FUDCon (as suggested by Mike)
> > * The various spins of F8:
> > * Electronics Lab
> > * Games Spin
>
> Here is a (potentially controversial) fun I had about "games" in a
> banner format:
> - full quality PNG: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/artwork/funny/games_banner.png
> - optimized for size (indexed):
> http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/artwork/funny/games_banner_indexed.png
> - stupid GIF animation:
> http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/artwork/funny/games_banner.gif
> - SVG source for all this:
> http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/artwork/funny/games_banner.svg

I like them, though I think I'd prefer it without the bevelled edge.

Cheers,

Jon

Old 12-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Jonathan Roberts

> > * Fedora Weekly News

Any chance of getting a banner together for this before the next FWN
release? If somebody could send me the source image of the newspaper
used on the banner for fp.org/wiki/FWN I'd be happy to try and put
something together myself again based on that.

Best wishes,

Jon