-   -   CentOS 4 Cobbler Server Hosting CentOS 5 Repository (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/98321-centos-4-cobbler-server-hosting-centos-5-repository.html)

"Stephen John Smoogen" 05-30-2008 09:39 PM

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Demetri Mouratis <dmourati@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running into some additional problems getting setup to support
> CentOS 5 from my cobber server running CentOS 4. When I PXE a new
> CentOS 5 host, I get some error messages like:
>
> Unable to read group information from repositories. This
> is a problem with the generation of your install tree.
>
> Looking a bit closer, I noticed that the repostiory structure seems to
> have changed between 4 and 5.
>
> # find centos4-i386 centos5-i386 -type d
> centos4-i386
> centos4-i386/headers
> centos4-i386/isolinux
> centos4-i386/.olddata
> centos4-i386/NOTES
> centos4-i386/cache
> centos4-i386/images
> centos4-i386/images/xen
> centos4-i386/images/pxeboot
> centos4-i386/repodata
> centos4-i386/CentOS
> centos4-i386/CentOS/base
> centos4-i386/CentOS/RPMS
> centos5-i386
> centos5-i386/isolinux
> centos5-i386/NOTES
> centos5-i386/cache
> centos5-i386/images
> centos5-i386/images/xen
> centos5-i386/images/pxeboot
> centos5-i386/repodata
> centos5-i386/CentOS
> centos5-i386/CentOS/repodata
>
> Under 5, there are no longer RPMS or base directories.

That is a change in how EL-4 and EL-5 layed out their packages. The
older anaconda used oneway and the newer one did not.

> What is going on here?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -D
>
> I think that the createrepo command under CentOS4 is having trouble
> doing the right thing.

Unknown at this time.. what version of createrepo are you using?

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

"Demetri Mouratis" 05-30-2008 09:44 PM

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Under 5, there are no longer RPMS or base directories.
>>

> That is a change in how EL-4 and EL-5 layed out their packages. The
> older anaconda used oneway and the newer one did not.
>

>> What is going on here?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -D
>>
>> I think that the createrepo command under CentOS4 is having trouble
>> doing the right thing.
>
> Unknown at this time.. what version of createrepo are you using?

# rpm -q createrepo
createrepo-0.4.4-2

"Stephen John Smoogen" 05-30-2008 10:22 PM

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Demetri Mouratis <dmourati@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Under 5, there are no longer RPMS or base directories.
>>>

>> That is a change in how EL-4 and EL-5 layed out their packages. The
>> older anaconda used oneway and the newer one did not.
>>

>>> What is going on here?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> -D
>>>
>>> I think that the createrepo command under CentOS4 is having trouble
>>> doing the right thing.
>>
>> Unknown at this time.. what version of createrepo are you using?
>>

> # rpm -q createrepo
> createrepo-0.4.4-2

Hmmm my brain thinks it remembers something about that. I have 0.4.11
on my EL-5 servers for some reason. Could you try the following rpm to
see if it helps?

http://smooge.fedorapeople.org/alpha/EL-4/createrepo-0.4.11-1.el4.noarch.rpm

and let me know if that fixes the issue?

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux