Old 05-30-2008, 06:43 PM
"Seale, Mark"

Default Virt-Install options

Would anyone happen to know if there is a method to specify
different NIC models on startup or install of a guest OS?* I know Qemu and KVM
are capable of it with the ‘–net nic,model=’, but I wasn’t
sure if there is a way to do this when using virt-install.* Every OpenBSD VM I
make is giving watchdog timeout errors for the NIC (re0)…

*

Thanks for any help!

The information contained in this transmission may contain privileged and confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. To reply to our e-mail administrator directly, please send an e-mail to postmaster@ag.state.la.us.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Cole Robinson

Seale, Mark wrote:
> Would anyone happen to know if there is a method to specify different
> NIC models on startup or install of a guest OS? I know Qemu and KVM are
> capable of it with the '-net nic,model=', but I wasn't sure if there is
> a way to do this when using virt-install. Every OpenBSD VM I make is
> giving watchdog timeout errors for the NIC (re0)...

No there currently is no cmdline switch to specify a nic model. Support
for specifying a nic model was recently added to libvirt, so it certainly
is something we could support for virt-install.

- Cole

Old 06-02-2008, 02:34 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:30:12AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Seale, Mark wrote:
> > Would anyone happen to know if there is a method to specify different
> > NIC models on startup or install of a guest OS? I know Qemu and KVM are
> > capable of it with the '-net nic,model=', but I wasn't sure if there is
> > a way to do this when using virt-install. Every OpenBSD VM I make is
> > giving watchdog timeout errors for the NIC (re0)...
> >

> No there currently is no cmdline switch to specify a nic model. Support
> for specifying a nic model was recently added to libvirt, so it certainly
> is something we could support for virt-install.

We should automatically set the optimal NIC according to the OS type
and variant provided - we don't need to expose this as an explicit
command line arg. Just need someone to say what the optimal NIC for
OpenBSD is ? Choice of ne2k, rtl8139, e1000 ... take your pick

Regards,
Daniel
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston -o- http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|

Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM
"Seale, Mark"

E1000 or pcnet would work from what I've been able to tell setting it up
with qemu. Thank you for the help!

Mark

http://ovirt.org :|
http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505 -o- F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B
9505 :|

Old 08-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Cole Robinson

Seale, Mark wrote:
> E1000 or pcnet would work from what I've been able to tell setting it up
> with qemu. Thank you for the help!

FYI, I've just fixed this upstream:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virtinst--devel?cs=3117341bd348

If you kick off an openbsd install with upstream
virt-install, simply add the option '--os-variant
openbsd4' and it will use pcnet for the nic model.
You'll also need the latest libvirt. This should all
end up in f10 (and most likely backported to
f9 too).

Sorry this took so long! Thanks for the info.

- Cole