Old 05-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Josir Gomes

Default New happy user / Differences between virsh and virt-manager

Hi folks,

I am new on this virtualization business and I need some tips from you.

I've already acomplished to install and run a Ubuntu 0.4 guest under a
Ubuntu 8.04 Host (both 64bits) using the above tutorials:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/libvirt.html

I can ssh from other machines in the vm and I managed to add new drives
too using only virt-manager.

Everything works fine and the vm is running very well.
As I expected the qemu/kvm performance is far better than vmware.

My problem: when I try to monitor my vms using the virsh prompt

virsh --connect qemu:///system

list

I got no vm status. virsh isn't only another way to look at the vm info ?
Or am I having a concept misunderstanding ?

Where can I find more info on this and learn how to clone vms?

I tried wiki (http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/page/Main_Page) but I
couldn't get any info.

Thanks in advance,
Josir Gomes

Old 05-29-2008, 05:55 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 01:54:54PM -0300, Josir Gomes wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am new on this virtualization business and I need some tips from you.
>
> I've already acomplished to install and run a Ubuntu 0.4 guest under a
> Ubuntu 8.04 Host (both 64bits) using the above tutorials:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM
> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/libvirt.html
>
> I can ssh from other machines in the vm and I managed to add new drives
> too using only virt-manager.
> Everything works fine and the vm is running very well.
> As I expected the qemu/kvm performance is far better than vmware.
>
> My problem: when I try to monitor my vms using the virsh prompt
>
> virsh --connect qemu:///system
> >>list
>
> I got no vm status. virsh isn't only another way to look at the vm info ?

It only shows running VMs by default - try adding --inactive, or --all
if you want idle VMs too.

> Where can I find more info on this and learn how to clone vms?

There is a virt-clone command - the man page has examples.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston -o- http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|