FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora/Linux Management Tools

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Tom Brown
 
Default koan 1.0 - RHEL 5.2 x86_64 - Full Virt

Hi

Does anyone know if a RHEL5.2 x86_64 dom0 using the default Xen which is
3.0.3 can do full virt of a 32bit domU ?


I want to avoid using Fedora if at all possible so i wonder if recent a
RHEL can handle it.


thanks

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Robin Bowes
 
Default koan 1.0 - RHEL 5.2 x86_64 - Full Virt

Tom Brown wrote:

Hi

Does anyone know if a RHEL5.2 x86_64 dom0 using the default Xen which is
3.0.3 can do full virt of a 32bit domU ?


I want to avoid using Fedora if at all possible so i wonder if recent a
RHEL can handle it.


This is the wrong list to ask on - try the xen list, or fedora-xen.

That said, I'm running CentOS 5.1 with xen 3.1.x that I rebuilt from the
Fedora RPMS. I believe the general feeling is that 32-bit guests are
unstable on x86_64 Dom0.


R.

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Chris Lalancette
 
Default koan 1.0 - RHEL 5.2 x86_64 - Full Virt

Robin Bowes wrote:
> This is the wrong list to ask on - try the xen list, or fedora-xen.
>
> That said, I'm running CentOS 5.1 with xen 3.1.x that I rebuilt from the
> Fedora RPMS. I believe the general feeling is that 32-bit guests are
> unstable on x86_64 Dom0.

They shouldn't be; 32-bit fully virtualized guests have been fully supported on
64-bit dom0 since 5.0. 5.2 has added 32-bit paravirtualized on 64-bit dom0 as a
tech preview, although it still has a couple of bugs to work out. If there are
problems with running 32-bit fully virtualized guests on 64-bit dom0, please
report them to BZ.

Chris Lalancette

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen
 
Default koan 1.0 - RHEL 5.2 x86_64 - Full Virt

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 09:55:07AM +0100, Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know if a RHEL5.2 x86_64 dom0 using the default Xen which is
> 3.0.3 can do full virt of a 32bit domU ?
>

RHEL5.2 has Xen 3.1.2. The package names might say 3.0.3, but it is 3.1.2.

Check RHEL5.2 release notes for more information.

-- Pasi

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"
 
Default koan 1.0 - RHEL 5.2 x86_64 - Full Virt

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 04:37:15PM +0300, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 09:55:07AM +0100, Tom Brown wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Does anyone know if a RHEL5.2 x86_64 dom0 using the default Xen which is
> > 3.0.3 can do full virt of a 32bit domU ?
> >
>
> RHEL5.2 has Xen 3.1.2. The package names might say 3.0.3, but it is 3.1.2.

No, it is not actually that simple.

- Hypervisor - 3.1.2
- Kernel - 3.0.3 + important patchs from 3.1.0 + 3.1.2
- Userspace - 3.0.3 XenD/xm + 3.1.0 QEMU + important patches

In particular anything which is a user visible API / command has remained
only 3.0.3 since we need to maintain stable API / CLI syntax throughout
the lifetime of RHEL-5. This is why the packages are still called 3.0.3;
their user facing API / cli is 3.0.3 based.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston -o- http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://ovirt.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org -o- http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505 -o- F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 05-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen
 
Default koan 1.0 - RHEL 5.2 x86_64 - Full Virt

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 02:44:52PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 04:37:15PM +0300, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
> > On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 09:55:07AM +0100, Tom Brown wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if a RHEL5.2 x86_64 dom0 using the default Xen which is
> > > 3.0.3 can do full virt of a 32bit domU ?
> > >
> >
> > RHEL5.2 has Xen 3.1.2. The package names might say 3.0.3, but it is 3.1.2.
>
> No, it is not actually that simple.
>
> - Hypervisor - 3.1.2
> - Kernel - 3.0.3 + important patchs from 3.1.0 + 3.1.2
> - Userspace - 3.0.3 XenD/xm + 3.1.0 QEMU + important patches
>
> In particular anything which is a user visible API / command has remained
> only 3.0.3 since we need to maintain stable API / CLI syntax throughout
> the lifetime of RHEL-5. This is why the packages are still called 3.0.3;
> their user facing API / cli is 3.0.3 based.
>

Yep, thanks for explaining in in detail. I meant the hypervisor itself is
3.1.2

-- Pasi

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Robin Bowes
 
Default koan 1.0 - RHEL 5.2 x86_64 - Full Virt

Chris Lalancette wrote:

Robin Bowes wrote:

This is the wrong list to ask on - try the xen list, or fedora-xen.

That said, I'm running CentOS 5.1 with xen 3.1.x that I rebuilt from the
Fedora RPMS. I believe the general feeling is that 32-bit guests are
unstable on x86_64 Dom0.


They shouldn't be; 32-bit fully virtualized guests have been fully supported on
64-bit dom0 since 5.0. 5.2 has added 32-bit paravirtualized on 64-bit dom0 as a
tech preview, although it still has a couple of bugs to work out. If there are
problems with running 32-bit fully virtualized guests on 64-bit dom0, please
report them to BZ.


/me needs to read more carefully - I missed the "full" bit. I am running
paravirt, and see occasional crashes.


R.

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:52 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org