Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora/Linux Management Tools (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/)
-   -   virt-manager and pxe install (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/96247-virt-manager-pxe-install.html)

Farkas Levente 05-27-2008 02:56 PM

virt-manager and pxe install
 
hi,
we try again to install a new guest from virt-manager through pxe boot
without much success:-(

out setup:
- host:
- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
- Intel S3000AHV
- 8GB RAM
- CentOS-5.1
- kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 x86_64 64bit
- packages from http://www.lfarkas.org/linux/packages/centos/5/x86_64/
libvirt-0.4.2-5
libvirt-python-0.4.2-5
python-virtinst-0.300.3-6
virt-manager-0.5.4-4
virt-top-0.4.1.0-2.el5
virt-viewer-0.0.3-1
kmod-kvm-69-1.2.6.18_53.1.21.el5
kvm-69-1

we try to create a new file based virtual guest fedora-8 through pxe
install on the kvm host machine. the problems:
- if i select cpu architecture i386, the i can't select hypervisor kvm.
why? imho it's a bug!
- after select i386 creating the disk image virt-manager crash with some
python backtrace as can't connect the guest.
- if i select x86_64 then in a bridged network it can't get an ip
address (searching for dhcp server).


so anyone has any success on kvm with pxe boot?
what should i have to do?
is there any way to be able to use pxe boot in kvm?
it's a virt-manager/libvirt or kvm bug?
thanks in advance.
yours.

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools

"Daniel P. Berrange" 05-27-2008 03:03 PM

virt-manager and pxe install
 
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 04:56:06PM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> we try again to install a new guest from virt-manager through pxe boot
> without much success:-(
> out setup:
> - host:
> - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> - Intel S3000AHV
> - 8GB RAM
> - CentOS-5.1
> - kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 x86_64 64bit
> - packages from http://www.lfarkas.org/linux/packages/centos/5/x86_64/
> libvirt-0.4.2-5
> libvirt-python-0.4.2-5
> python-virtinst-0.300.3-6
> virt-manager-0.5.4-4
> virt-top-0.4.1.0-2.el5
> virt-viewer-0.0.3-1
> kmod-kvm-69-1.2.6.18_53.1.21.el5
> kvm-69-1
>
> we try to create a new file based virtual guest fedora-8 through pxe
> install on the kvm host machine. the problems:
> - if i select cpu architecture i386, the i can't select hypervisor kvm.
> why? imho it's a bug!

KVM only virtualizes a CPU that matches the host. If you're on a 64-bit
host, then it only virtualizes a 64-bit CPU. It doesn't virtualize a
32-bit CPU - if you want a true 32-bit cpu on a 64-bit host you need to
emulate with QEMU instead. That said its rather pointless because you
can run a 32-bit guest OS in a 64-kvm KVM vm just fine.

> - after select i386 creating the disk image virt-manager crash with some
> python backtrace as can't connect the guest.

Please file a BZ with the details

> - if i select x86_64 then in a bridged network it can't get an ip
> address (searching for dhcp server).

There's many things which can go wrong - some versions of KVM have
broken PXE support. Start off by tracing the network traffic in the
host using tcpdump. It may also be an incompatability with your
DHCP server and etherboot

Dan
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston -o- http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://ovirt.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org -o- http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505 -o- F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools

Farkas Levente 05-27-2008 03:54 PM

virt-manager and pxe install
 
Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 04:56:06PM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:

hi,
we try again to install a new guest from virt-manager through pxe boot
without much success:-(

out setup:
- host:
- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
- Intel S3000AHV
- 8GB RAM
- CentOS-5.1
- kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 x86_64 64bit
- packages from http://www.lfarkas.org/linux/packages/centos/5/x86_64/
libvirt-0.4.2-5
libvirt-python-0.4.2-5
python-virtinst-0.300.3-6
virt-manager-0.5.4-4
virt-top-0.4.1.0-2.el5
virt-viewer-0.0.3-1
kmod-kvm-69-1.2.6.18_53.1.21.el5
kvm-69-1

we try to create a new file based virtual guest fedora-8 through pxe
install on the kvm host machine. the problems:
- if i select cpu architecture i386, the i can't select hypervisor kvm.
why? imho it's a bug!


KVM only virtualizes a CPU that matches the host. If you're on a 64-bit
host, then it only virtualizes a 64-bit CPU. It doesn't virtualize a
32-bit CPU - if you want a true 32-bit cpu on a 64-bit host you need to
emulate with QEMU instead. That said its rather pointless because you
can run a 32-bit guest OS in a 64-kvm KVM vm just fine.


huu i learn again something:-) until now (ie. in previous version of
virt-manager) i can select 32bit for my guest so i assume kvm can
virtualize 32bit cpu on 64bit host. but if it can't it'd better to not
allow to choose 32bit in case of kvm. and of course virt-manager already
know the host has only kvm hypervisor.


- after select i386 creating the disk image virt-manager crash with some
python backtrace as can't connect the guest.


Please file a BZ with the details


it's more then half year old:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/et-mgmt-tools/2007-October/msg00062.html

- if i select x86_64 then in a bridged network it can't get an ip
address (searching for dhcp server).


There's many things which can go wrong - some versions of KVM have
broken PXE support. Start off by tracing the network traffic in the
host using tcpdump. It may also be an incompatability with your
DHCP server and etherboot


the dhcp server is a centos-5.1 with default dhcp server, default pxe
boot etc. and the pxe boot works for fedora and centos with real
hardware (we did dozens of such installs). and at the same kvm host
we've got 5 other guest using the same shared network adapter.

i'm just attached the screenshot of the install screen.
and when we reach this screen virt-manager's shutdown not working, the
only way to stop the guest is a kill.

here is a process list (the last one should have to be the new guest):
---------------------------------------------------------------
root 3278 181 25.9 2285204 2119796 ? Sl 14:32 350:50
/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -M pc -m 2048 -smp 4 -monitor pty -boot c -hda
/dev/VolGroup00/centos-i386-root -hdb /dev/VolGroup00/centos-i386-swap
-hdc /dev/md2 -net nic,macaddr=00:16:3e:58:66:7b,vlan=0 -net
tap,fd=11,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet0 -usb -usbdevice tablet -vnc
127.0.0.1:0
root 3314 134 5.9 707332 490444 ? Sl 14:32 260:41
/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -M pc -m 512 -smp 4 -monitor pty -boot c -hda
/dev/VolGroup00/centos-x86_64-root -hdb
/dev/VolGroup00/centos-x86_64-swap -net
nic,macaddr=00:16:3e:2e:99:e2,vlan=0 -net
tap,fd=14,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet1 -usb -usbdevice tablet -vnc
127.0.0.1:1
root 3347 3.3 6.7 686688 548920 ? Sl 14:32 6:28
/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -M pc -m 512 -smp 2 -monitor pty -no-acpi -boot c -hda
/dev/VolGroup00/windows-xp -net nic,macaddr=00:16:3e:18:81:69,vlan=0
-net tap,fd=18,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet2 -usb -usbdevice tablet -vnc
127.0.0.1:2
root 3378 3.0 1.5 676440 129008 ? Sl 14:32 5:53
/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -M pc -m 512 -smp 1 -monitor pty -boot c -hda
/dev/VolGroup00/mandrake-9-root -hdb /dev/VolGroup00/mandrake-9-swap
-net nic,macaddr=00:16:3e:37:68:fd,vlan=0 -net
tap,fd=22,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet3 -usb -usbdevice tablet -vnc
127.0.0.1:3
root 3409 0.2 0.8 676440 68260 ? Sl 14:32 0:33
/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -M pc -m 512 -smp 1 -monitor pty -boot c -hda
/dev/VolGroup00/mandrake-10 -net nic,macaddr=00:16:3e:03:37:eb,vlan=0
-net tap,fd=26,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet4 -usb -vnc 127.0.0.1:4
root 4334 6.7 0.3 494440 32536 ? Ss 17:43 0:11 python
/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py --connect qemu:///system
root 4345 85.7 0.1 676672 15344 ? Sl 17:45 0:30
/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -M pc -m 512 -smp 1 -monitor pty -no-reboot -boot n
-hda /var/lib/libvirt/images/dfgdsfg.img -net
nic,macaddr=00:16:3e:76:03:2c,vlan=0 -net
tap,fd=30,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet5 -usb -vnc 127.0.0.1:5 -k en-us

---------------------------------------------------------------

but anyway. my question is anybody ever be able to install a guest from
virt-manager using pxe boot on kvm? since my assumption is that it's
never been tried and never worked.


--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"
_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools

Cole Robinson 05-27-2008 07:22 PM

virt-manager and pxe install
 
Farkas Levente wrote:
>
>>> - after select i386 creating the disk image virt-manager crash with some
>>> python backtrace as can't connect the guest.
>> Please file a BZ with the details
>
> it's more then half year old:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/et-mgmt-tools/2007-October/msg00062.html
>

Email is not an option for tracking bugs. If you have been hitting this
for months, file a bug in bugzilla.redhat.com. Please include
~/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log with the bug report, and all applicable
application versions.

>
> but anyway. my question is anybody ever be able to install a guest from
> virt-manager using pxe boot on kvm? since my assumption is that it's
> never been tried and never worked.
>

That's a poor assumption. We don't make a habit of including features
and never testing them. I just kicked off a PXE install on F9 for
an x86_64 kvm guest using bridged networking.

# rpm -q libvirt kvm qemu virt-manager
libvirt-0.4.2-3.fc9.x86_64
kvm-65-1.fc9.x86_64
qemu-0.9.1-5.fc9.x86_64
virt-manager-0.5.4-4.fc9.x86_64

- Cole

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools

"Daniel P. Berrange" 05-27-2008 08:06 PM

virt-manager and pxe install
 
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 05:54:12PM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 04:56:06PM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> >>hi,
> >
> >KVM only virtualizes a CPU that matches the host. If you're on a 64-bit
> >host, then it only virtualizes a 64-bit CPU. It doesn't virtualize a
> >32-bit CPU - if you want a true 32-bit cpu on a 64-bit host you need to
> >emulate with QEMU instead. That said its rather pointless because you
> >can run a 32-bit guest OS in a 64-kvm KVM vm just fine.
>
> huu i learn again something:-) until now (ie. in previous version of
> virt-manager) i can select 32bit for my guest so i assume kvm can
> virtualize 32bit cpu on 64bit host.

Then you have likely been running your VMs with plain QEMU and no
acceleration

> but if it can't it'd better to not
> allow to choose 32bit in case of kvm. and of course virt-manager already
> know the host has only kvm hypervisor.

That is already the case - if you select KVM then it won't let you select
i386 and vica-verca.

> >>- after select i386 creating the disk image virt-manager crash with some
> >>python backtrace as can't connect the guest.
> >
> >Please file a BZ with the details
>
> it's more then half year old:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/et-mgmt-tools/2007-October/msg00062.html

Note where I said *BZ*, and that is not enough information anyway. It
needs the full virt-manager log file, and the VM log from /var/log/libvirt

> but anyway. my question is anybody ever be able to install a guest from
> virt-manager using pxe boot on kvm? since my assumption is that it's
> never been tried and never worked.

It has been tried and does work. As I said in my previous mail there are
sometimes problems with some versions of KVM, and also incompatabilities
with certain DHCP/PXE servers. There are also frequently mis-configured
hosts by the sysadmin which block the traffic in the firewall.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston -o- http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://ovirt.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org -o- http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505 -o- F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools

Farkas Levente 05-29-2008 01:50 PM

virt-manager and pxe install
 
Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
but if it can't it'd better to not
allow to choose 32bit in case of kvm. and of course virt-manager already
know the host has only kvm hypervisor.


That is already the case - if you select KVM then it won't let you select
i386 and vica-verca.


currently even if i select kvm i can select 32.

but anyway. my question is anybody ever be able to install a guest from
virt-manager using pxe boot on kvm? since my assumption is that it's
never been tried and never worked.


It has been tried and does work. As I said in my previous mail there are
sometimes problems with some versions of KVM, and also incompatabilities
with certain DHCP/PXE servers. There are also frequently mis-configured
hosts by the sysadmin which block the traffic in the firewall.


as it can be seen from my screenshot it (the kvm bios) can't found the
hdcp server. so it's nothing to do with pxe. on the same kvm host other
guest are able to use dhcp, but of course in that case the os's (fedora
and centos) dhcp client, while in my case kvm bios emulation's dhcp
client. boht the host and guest is on our labs without firewall and
selinux disabled. dhcp server is on another server on the same lan.

if i run on the host:
tcpdump -i peth0 icmp
i didn't got any kind of packages.
so what else can i do?
how can i find the reason?

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"

_______________________________________________
et-mgmt-tools mailing list
et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/et-mgmt-tools


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.