Old 05-23-2008, 10:42 PM
"Demetri Mouratis"

Default Cobbler PXE Menu Under CentOS 4.6

Hi,

I'm trying to setup PXE Menus under CentOS 4.6. My cobbler is:

[root@lncbuild cobbler]# rpm -q cobbler
cobbler-0.4.8-1.el4.centos

I've rebuilt the syslinux package per some other notes I found.

[root@lncbuild ~]# rpm -q syslinux
syslinux-3.36-1

Still, I'm not able to see the "boot:" prompt while a system is PXE booting.

It simply falls through to the default profile which is not what I
want in this case. I'm reluctant to go setting up a bunch of systems
at this point.

Any idea if this should work?

Do I need a newer Cobbler?

Thanks.

-D

Old 05-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Subhendu Ghosh

Demetri Mouratis wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to setup PXE Menus under CentOS 4.6. My cobbler is:

[root@lncbuild cobbler]# rpm -q cobbler
cobbler-0.4.8-1.el4.centos

Most definitely need a cobbler upgrade - 0.4 is ancient

I've rebuilt the syslinux package per some other notes I found.

[root@lncbuild ~]# rpm -q syslinux
syslinux-3.36-1

Still, I'm not able to see the "boot:" prompt while a system is PXE booting.

It simply falls through to the default profile which is not what I
want in this case. I'm reluctant to go setting up a bunch of systems
at this point.

Any idea if this should work?

Do I need a newer Cobbler?

Thanks.

-D

-cheers
Subhendu

Old 05-23-2008, 11:47 PM
"Demetri Mouratis"

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Subhendu Ghosh <sghosh@redhat.com> wrote:
> Demetri Mouratis wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to setup PXE Menus under CentOS 4.6. My cobbler is:
>>
>> [root@lncbuild cobbler]# rpm -q cobbler
>> cobbler-0.4.8-1.el4.centos
>
> Most definitely need a cobbler upgrade - 0.4 is ancient

Thanks Subhendu,

I've upgraded to 0.8.3-3.el4.

[root@lncbuild ~]# rpm -q cobbler
cobbler-0.8.3-3.el4

Still, no joy on the PXE Menu.

I'm also looking at just removing the "default" system. I think I'll
wind up with just a local boot in this case.

Thanks.

-D

Old 05-24-2008, 02:08 AM
Michael DeHaan

Demetri Mouratis wrote:

I'm trying to setup PXE Menus under CentOS 4.6. My cobbler is:

[root@lncbuild cobbler]# rpm -q cobbler
cobbler-0.4.8-1.el4.centos

Most definitely need a cobbler upgrade - 0.4 is ancient

Thanks Subhendu,

I've upgraded to 0.8.3-3.el4.

That version of cobbler sub-packages a newer menu.c32

[root@lncbuild ~]# rpm -q cobbler
cobbler-0.8.3-3.el4

Still, no joy on the PXE Menu.

I'm also looking at just removing the "default" system. I think I'll
wind up with just a local boot in this case.

Do you mean you have a system named "default" in Cobbler? If so, that
will override your menu behavior.

Definitely delete it and then you should get the menu.

Let me know if that's not the case.

--Michael

Old 05-27-2008, 06:51 PM
"Demetri Mouratis"

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@redhat.com> wrote:

> Do you mean you have a system named "default" in Cobbler? If so, that will
> override your menu behavior.
> Definitely delete it and then you should get the menu.
>
> Let me know if that's not the case.

Oh, I see. I wanted to have the default in there as a fall back in
the event no input was detected during the menu phase. It's not
imperative, so I've deleted the cobbler system "default". The
behavior now is that the system does not PXE boot. It simply falls
through to the local grub config and boots up the old Centos 4.6 image
installed on the machine.

My environment was previously homogenous installation of Centos 4.x
but now I'm having to support Centos 4.x/5 in parallel.

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Michael DeHaan

Demetri Mouratis wrote:

Do you mean you have a system named "default" in Cobbler? If so, that will
override your menu behavior.
Definitely delete it and then you should get the menu.

Let me know if that's not the case.

Oh, I see. I wanted to have the default in there as a fall back in
the event no input was detected during the menu phase. It's not
imperative, so I've deleted the cobbler system "default". The
behavior now is that the system does not PXE boot. It simply falls
through to the local grub config and boots up the old Centos 4.6 image
installed on the machine.

My environment was previously homogenous installation of Centos 4.x
but now I'm having to support Centos 4.x/5 in parallel.

Perhaps it does.

With the 0.8.X and before implementation, you have to type "menu" to get
to the PXE menu, because that menu did not time out automatically.
So there is a good chance it /is/ PXE booting, but syslinux times out
because you didn't type "menu" at the prompt.

The other PXE behavior would be achieved by something like:

cobbler system add --name=foo --mac=AA:BB:CCD:EE:FF --profile=bar

Where then you pin that mac address to a specific installation target.

Could that explain what you are seeing?

--Michael

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 PM
"Demetri Mouratis"

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@redhat.com> wrote:

> Perhaps it does.
>
> With the 0.8.X and before implementation, you have to type "menu" to get to
> the PXE menu, because that menu did not time out automatically.
> So there is a good chance it /is/ PXE booting, but syslinux times out
> because you didn't type "menu" at the prompt.
>
> The other PXE behavior would be achieved by something like:
>
> cobbler system add --name=foo --mac=AA:BB:CCD:EE:FF --profile=bar
>
> Where then you pin that mac address to a specific installation target.
>
> Could that explain what you are seeing?
>
> --Michael
>
>> Thanks.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for all the help so far. I've deleted the "default" system and
now I think I'm running into a timeout issue or something similar. I'm
looking at a hung boot process and no prompt at which to enter "menu".
Part of the problem is that I'm doing this all over serial console
(the systems are in London, I'm in California). Are there any
peculiarities you are aware of with respect to serial console and PXE
menu booting?

I know I have set this up manually prior to being introduced to
cobbler. The thing is, I'm somewhat stuck unless I take your
suggestion and starting adding systems by MAC address which I'd like
to avoid in favor of the menu approach.

Thanks.

-D