-   -   Scientific Linux 4.6 paravirt install works - FC7 or FC8 not (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/92723-scientific-linux-4-6-paravirt-install-works-fc7-fc8-not.html)

Jens Ahrens 05-21-2008 04:39 PM

Scientific Linux 4.6 paravirt install works - FC7 or FC8 not

Hi everybody,

I'm running FC7 as Dom0 and set up some paravirt SL 4.6 machines with cobbler-0.8.0-1.fc7 and koan-0.8.0-1.fc7. When I tried to setup a FC7 pvm the console output stops at a certain point:

Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 938k

Almost the same result for FC8 - it stops saying:

Determining IP Adress for eth0

and hangs forever. When I set up a dhcp server on Dom0 manually for e.g. the FC8-Install the installation goes fairly automatically (some queries that a package can't be found - after retrying it is found).
My question why does a SL4.6 install work without a dedicated dhcp server and FC7 or FC8 do not?

Thanks for any help,
Cheers,
Jens

Jens Ahrens 05-22-2008 08:58 PM

Scientific Linux 4.6 paravirt install works - FC7 or FC8 not

Hi Michael,

thanks for your reply.
I've already read in some other thread that the install just seems to be hanging. However I used the --nogfx flag with koan and the result is what I posted in my original message below about the last output I see on the console.
When I try to connect to it via virt-manager, I just get a message saying "Console not configured for guest". Is there any other way to connect to it via vnc?

Thanks,
Jens