Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Ole Ersoy

Default Is a switch required?

Hi,

I've been attempting to trouble shoot my attempt at pxe booting by reading through this:

http://www.linux-sxs.org/internet_serving/pxeboot.html

One of the things it says is a requirement is a switch. Right now I'm using a router, for which I just turned off DHCP. Anyone know if a switch is a requirement?

Another thing I noticed is that this was entered in the DCHP config file:

host llama0 {
hardware ethernet 04:4B:80:80:80:03;
fixed-address 192.168.0.254;
option host-name "llama0";
filename "pxelinux.0";
}

I don't have this in the DHCP config template that comes with cobbler. Is something like this required?

Thanks,
- Ole

Old 05-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Subhendu Ghosh

Ole Ersoy wrote:

Hi,

I've been attempting to trouble shoot my attempt at pxe booting by
reading through this:

http://www.linux-sxs.org/internet_serving/pxeboot.html

One of the things it says is a requirement is a switch. Right now I'm
using a router, for which I just turned off DHCP. Anyone know if a
switch is a requirement?

Another thing I noticed is that this was entered in the DCHP config file:

host llama0 {
hardware ethernet 04:4B:80:80:80:03;
fixed-address 192.168.0.254;
option host-name "llama0";
filename "pxelinux.0";
}

I don't have this in the DHCP config template that comes with cobbler.
Is something like this required?
Thanks,

- Ole

DHCP works via subnet broadcast - if you are doing DHCP across a router, the
router needs to have dhcp-relay function turned on. Otherwise you are stuck.

The filename is set in the main ISC dhcp definition if you are using the
shipped /etc/cobbler/dhcp.template. Hence it is inherited by individual
entries. No need to set it individually for each host entry.

-cheers
Subhendu

Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Ole Ersoy

DHCP works via subnet broadcast - if you are doing DHCP across a router,
the router needs to have dhcp-relay function turned on. Otherwise you
are stuck.

Ah - That makes sense - I'll see if that's turned on - Thanks.

The filename is set in the main ISC dhcp definition if you are using the
shipped /etc/cobbler/dhcp.template.

I assume the "filename" corresponds to "option routers", which I set to the IP address of my router. My understanding is that ISC DHCP would broadcast to the router using that routers IP, and then the router would relay from there. Please correct me if I'm off.

Hence it is inherited by individual
entries. No need to set it individually for each host entry.

Awesome - Thanks for all your help!

Ole

Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Ole Ersoy

Subhendu,

Sorry for the stooopid filename clarification request. I see what you mean. The main entry has it, so the "host llama0" entry does not need it. I'm just reading up on DHCP now, so it's starting to come to me :-).

Thanks,
- Ole

Old 05-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Subhendu Ghosh

Ole Ersoy wrote:

DHCP works via subnet broadcast - if you are doing DHCP across a
router, the router needs to have dhcp-relay function turned on.
Otherwise you are stuck.

Ah - That makes sense - I'll see if that's turned on - Thanks.

The filename is set in the main ISC dhcp definition if you are using
the shipped /etc/cobbler/dhcp.template.

I assume the "filename" corresponds to "option routers", which I set to
the IP address of my router. My understanding is that ISC DHCP would
broadcast to the router using that routers IP, and then the router would
relay from there. Please correct me if I'm off.

Off slightly -
filename corresponds to the /path/filename requested for pxe boot
options routers - provides the default gateway.

--
-regards
Subhendu

Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Michael DeHaan

Ole Ersoy wrote:

Subhendu,

Sorry for the stooopid filename clarification request. I see what you
mean. The main entry has it, so the "host llama0" entry does not need
it. I'm just reading up on DHCP now, so it's starting to come to me :-).

Thanks,
- Ole

So, long thread, everything settled?

FWIW, a good place for troubleshooting discussion is #cobbler on
irc.freenode.net.
I won't be online there until next week (vacation still) though there
are a lot of other people there that can help if you're still trying

to figure things out.

--Michael

Old 05-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Ole Ersoy

Michael,

Yes I got that part figured out. I'll also put my troubleshooting notes on the wiki a little later. It ended up being the original hardware that just did not know how to request a DHCP lease. It works fine when I try other hardware. Now I just got to get past the "TFTP Open Timeout". I'm sure it's something trivial in the config setup, so I'm just going to go through the tutorials again and make sure I buttoned everything up properly.

Thanks for checking in - Especially on vacation and all!
- Ole