Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Ole Ersoy

Default Troubleshooting

Hi,

I'm trying to boot some bare metal over the network. I followed all the steps in the tutorial:

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/HowToCobblerServer

When I run cobbler check it just tells me this:

[root@localhost cobbler]# cobbler check
The following potential problems were detected:
#0: since iptables may be running, ensure 69, 80, 25150, and 25151 are unblocked

And I did make sure that these ports are open. I then set the bare metal bios to boot from the LAN first, but I still get a "NO BOOT DISK FOUND ERROR...or something like that".

Is there a way to simulate the request that boot client should be sending to cobbler?

Thanks,
- Ole

#0: since iptables may be running, ensure 69, 80, 25150, and 25151 are unblocked

And I did make sure that these ports are open. I then set the bare metal bios to boot from the LAN first, but I still get a "NO BOOT DISK FOUND ERROR...or something like that".

Is there a way to simulate the request that boot client should be sending to cobbler?

There are a couple things you can check - during your pxeboot phase do
you see a timeout or anything like that? I find it helpful to do a
tcpdump on the cobbler box to see if infact the pxe and dhcp packets are
making it from the host to the server.

You can also tail /var/log/messages (by default) or /var/log/dhcpd (if
you setup a syslogd rule for dhcpd) to see if there are requests getting
through to the server. One common mistake I make is that I forget to
add a subnet in my dhcp.template, and because of this my pxe requests
will fail (as dhcpd won't be configured to offer leases on that
subnet). This will usually show up in your log file.

-pete

--
Peter Wright
Systems Engineer

Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Ole Ersoy

Hi Pete,

There are a couple things you can check - during your pxeboot phase do
you see a timeout or anything like that?

It does seem like the box pauses a little longer before it tells me it can't boot.

I find it helpful to do a
tcpdump on the cobbler box to see if infact the pxe and dhcp packets are
making it from the host to the server.

I need to read up on tcpdump. I have a feeling it's going to be a valuable utility :-).

You can also tail /var/log/messages (by default) or /var/log/dhcpd (if
you setup a syslogd rule for dhcpd) to see if there are requests getting
through to the server.

That I can handle. This is what I get when I tail /var/log/messages:

[root@localhost cobbler]# tail /var/log/messages
May 20 13:59:02 localhost dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.6-Fedora
May 20 13:59:02 localhost dhcpd: Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
May 20 13:59:02 localhost dhcpd: All rights reserved.
May 20 13:59:02 localhost dhcpd: For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
May 20 13:59:02 localhost dhcpd: Not searching LDAP since ldap-server, ldap-username, ldap-password and ldap-base-dn were not specified in the config file
May 20 13:59:02 localhost dhcpd: Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
May 20 13:59:03 localhost dhcpd: Listening on LPF/eth0/00:0e:a6:65:57:99/192.168.1/24
May 20 13:59:03 localhost dhcpd: Sending on LPF/eth0/00:0e:a6:65:57:99/192.168.1/24
May 20 13:59:03 localhost dhcpd: Sending on Socket/fallback/fallback-net
May 20 14:03:57 localhost xinetd[3381]: EXIT: tftp status=0 pid=3661 duration=1048(sec)

So it looks like there was some activity right around the time I tried it, but I'm not sure exactly how to turn this log into further action. Any ideas?

One common mistake I make is that I forget to
add a subnet in my dhcp.template, and because of this my pxe requests
will fail (as dhcpd won't be configured to offer leases on that
subnet). This will usually show up in your log file.

Hmmm - Now that you mention that I wonder if mine is goofed, because the log says "Wrote 0 leases to leases file". I let cobbler manage the DHCP configuration, and the configuration file looks like this:

ddns-update-style interim;

allow booting;
allow bootp;

ignore client-updates;
set vendorclass = option vendor-class-identifier;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
option routers 192.168.1.1;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.254;
filename "/pxelinux.0";
default-lease-time 21600;
max-lease-time 43200;
next-server $next_server;
}

$insert_cobbler_system_definitions

This seems ok, although I'm not an expert. My router has address 192.168.1.1 and this is a home environment so I only have machines 192.168.1.6, which is the cobbler server, and a few others 192.168.1.2, and 192.168.1.3...+ the machine that is the bare metal one.

If anything jumps out, please let me know. I'll try to smarten up on tcpdump, and hopefully that will reveal more.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Ole

-pete