-   -   Live- and rescue-system provisioning over pxe (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/91549-live-rescue-system-provisioning-over-pxe.html)

05-20-2008 08:56 AM

Live- and rescue-system provisioning over pxe

What do you think about providing live- and rescue systems for pxe with
cobbler? With Fedora 9 there is a new script in the livecd-tools that
turns a live-cd iso into a pxe bootable image. So we can now create a pxe
live-system out of a kickstartfile.

Providing rescue-system is already possible with cobbler. You only have to
create a Kickstart file and a profile to provide it over pxe:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/Rescue_PXE

My question is, does it makes sense to manage the build process of the
live images with cobbler? It is always possible to do this manualy, but i
think it will be cool if cobbler does that for me.

Greetings
Andy

Michael DeHaan 05-22-2008 07:25 PM

zuber@puzzle.ch wrote:

What do you think about providing live- and rescue systems for pxe with
cobbler? With Fedora 9 there is a new script in the livecd-tools that
turns a live-cd iso into a pxe bootable image. So we can now create a pxe
live-system out of a kickstartfile.

See koan's livecd. It uses this to provide baremetal installations in
PXE-less environments.

Providing rescue-system is already possible with cobbler. You only have to
create a Kickstart file and a profile to provide it over pxe:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/Rescue_PXE

There's an email a while back from Jennifer Cranfill about managing
rescue images in a neat way with Cobbler.

We will probably be exploring this.

My question is, does it makes sense to manage the build process of the
live images with cobbler? It is always possible to do this manualy, but i
think it will be cool if cobbler does that for me.

The build process? Not really, IMHO. Does it make sense to make it
easier for Cobbler to netboot non-installation
images and handle abstracts around disk images and cloning? Yes.
That's one of the things I want to explore next.

Greetings
Andy