Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 AM
Ole Ersoy

Default Barebones Install Without Koan?

Hi,

Currently I use a USB boot drive to do network installs on new hardware (The hardware is minimal, with no CD or DVD drive). I'd like to get around having to use the USB drive. Ideally I would just plug a raw machine into the network and be able to click through the install from there. Is that possible with Cobbler (Or do I have to have a kickstart profile for the hardware before starting)?

Thanks,
- Ole

Old 05-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Michael DeHaan

Ole Ersoy wrote:

Hi,

Currently I use a USB boot drive to do network installs on new
hardware (The hardware is minimal, with no CD or DVD drive). I'd like
to get around having to use the USB drive. Ideally I would just plug
a raw machine into the network and be able to click through the
install from there. Is that possible with Cobbler (Or do I have to
have a kickstart profile for the hardware before starting)?

Cobbler buildiso in 0.9.X/1.0 generates bootable images, and before you
also have the koan live CD (read the Wiki for docs on this) that can be
converted to a USB image.

Thanks,
- Ole

Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Ole Ersoy

Michael,

Just want to make sure I understand correctly.

Michael DeHaan wrote:

Ole Ersoy wrote:

Hi,

Currently I use a USB boot drive to do network installs on new
hardware (The hardware is minimal, with no CD or DVD drive). I'd like
to get around having to use the USB drive. Ideally I would just plug
a raw machine into the network and be able to click through the
install from there. Is that possible with Cobbler (Or do I have to
have a kickstart profile for the hardware before starting)?

Cobbler buildiso in 0.9.X/1.0 generates bootable images,

So would I create a bootable image and load that instead of pxelinux.0 in order to get the anaconda installer gui that I use to finish up the network install, or does pxelinux.0 provide that as well?

and before you
also have the koan live CD (read the Wiki for docs on this) that can be
converted to a USB image.

Just want to make sure I presented the idea correctly - I'm trying to get around using a USB drive to get the initial anaconda linux prompt where I can specify either a kickstart install or a manual one over the network...so would I create a USB image, and load that via DHCP and TFTP instead of pxelinux.0?

Thanks again for helping me out with these newbie questions...especially on vacation. No rush on any of this. I'm playing around and as soon as I get the pxelinux.0 to load, it will be a little clearer what I can do from that point onwards. Oh - And thanks for the IRC tip as well. I'll try that next if all my permutations don't work...I think I need to track them a little better :-).

Cheers,
- Ole