Old 05-17-2008, 04:15 PM
"Aaron Lippold"

Default Cobbler profile behavior when using same ks file name

Hello All,

While doing some installs this week I noticed a strange quirk in the
cobbler profile add and or cobbler sync work flow. Here's what
heepened.

[aaronl@localhost ~]$ rpm -q cobbler
cobbler-0.8.3-3.el5

If I add a profile "x" with distro "d" and kickstart "k". Cobbler
sync. All Good.

Now, if I test out my install notice some issues and edit my
kickstart k to k' and keep the file name the same - let;s say
d600-lab-workstation.ks, then add a new profile X1 with distro "d" and
kickstart "k'" ( i.e. the modified ks file k' ) a cobbler sync will
add the new profile and render k' in the ../kickstarts/X1/ks.cfg.
However, it will also render k and replace ../kickstarts/X/ks.cfg as
well.

I have used this method before with cobbler - its a great way to keep
a history of your build and tweaks during the refinement of a system -
but now it seems that the profile object is linked to the ks file by
path. Ok, I can see how this works given that cobbler sync most likely
doesn't have an "activity log" on a profile. But I can see issues with
this. Profile "x" didn't change since I didn't issue any commands to
profile "x" so cobbler sync shouldn't modify it. At least, that is
what I would expect. I can see issues with this - I think - if you had
a distributed or even more than one SA working with profiles. If two
folks took the baseline ks file for their company, made some changes,
saved and created a profile, the last one in wins, This could cause
issues right? Or like me where I really don't want to do a :w myname1
:w myname2 ... when I am doing quick changes and testing...

Just thought I would bring it up for discussion.

Yours,

Aaron

Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Michael DeHaan

Aaron Lippold wrote:

Hello All,

While doing some installs this week I noticed a strange quirk in the
cobbler profile add and or cobbler sync work flow. Here's what
heepened.

[aaronl@localhost ~]$ rpm -q cobbler
cobbler-0.8.3-3.el5

If I add a profile "x" with distro "d" and kickstart "k". Cobbler
sync. All Good.

Now, if I test out my install notice some issues and edit my
kickstart k to k' and keep the file name the same - let;s say
d600-lab-workstation.ks, then add a new profile X1 with distro "d" and
kickstart "k'" ( i.e. the modified ks file k' ) a cobbler sync will
add the new profile and render k' in the ../kickstarts/X1/ks.cfg.
However, it will also render k and replace ../kickstarts/X/ks.cfg as
well.

Cobbler 0.9.X and later will not render any kickstarts to disk, just FYI...

[...]

I'm not sure I understand the question/problem/use-case/hack, but the
purposes of those files are to serve for booting /existing/ profiles
only, not to keep a history of how kickstarts were rendered in the
past. In the future, there will be no physical rendered kickstarts at
all, with these

being dynamically generated by mod python.

If two people are editing a kickstart template, the last one does win,
because the kickstart template is a file on the filesystem, and this is
how filesystems work. However, vim/other should warn that there are
others editing the file.