Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Michael DeHaan

Default Summary of things new in Cobbler 0.9/1.0

I have a write up of what's new in Cobbler/Koan 0.9/1.0 here:

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/WhatsNewInOhNine

Comments welcome, and feel free to play with git if you like. I will
be doing a test release likely this week (Friday?) with a source RPM,
though you don't have to wait if you want to have at it. It's been a
while coming, but this is a big release. It's probably time to stop and
push new things into the next release when possible.

Of possible interest to several folks: I had to (temporarily) remove
the "--autonet" code in koan today (this is a feature intended to ease
usage of --replace-self in DHCP-less environments), because of errors it
was raising in Python 2.3 regarding some bit shifting and so forth. As
I wasn't too familiar with the code and I don't have sufficient cycles
to test it, it's out for now, but obviously we don't want to keep it
that way if people need it. I will accept patches to get it cleaned
up and added back -- though I'm not sure it worked on EL4 in the past.
For patches, ideally it would not rely on direct parsing of commands and
could get moved out to another file. Koan is getting big enough now
to use some cleanup in general so I'll try to be doing some of that.

Also of interest -- If you were asking about it, I believe I lost your
email, but Xen Fullvirt in koan works again as I corrected some errors
that kept it going into paravirt mode. Testing welcome.

As indicated on the above Wiki page, there aren't too many features that
are left to add. We're getting close! Thanks for everyone who has
been providing testing so far, ideas, bug reports, and hanging out here
and on IRC. You are much appreciated and I could not do this without
you. Thanks!

--Michael

Old 05-08-2008, 08:07 AM
"Al Tobey"

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@redhat.com> wrote:
> Of possible interest to several folks: I had to (temporarily) remove the
> "--autonet" code in koan today (this is a feature intended to ease usage of
> --replace-self in DHCP-less environments), because of errors it was raising
> in Python 2.3 regarding some bit shifting and so forth. As I wasn't too
> familiar with the code and I don't have sufficient cycles to test it, it's
> out for now, but obviously we don't want to keep it that way if people need
> it. I will accept patches to get it cleaned up and added back -- though
> I'm not sure it worked on EL4 in the past. For patches, ideally it would
> not rely on direct parsing of commands and could get moved out to another
> file. Koan is getting big enough now to use some cleanup in general so
> I'll try to be doing some of that.

That's too bad ... I was looking forward to not having to maintain a
local version of koan any more. I'm not sure if it worked on EL4
since I mainly use koan -A for VM installs which run EL5 on dom0.

My only request at this point is that either --ip, --netmask, and
--gateway get added for setting network configuration on the kernel
command line, or better yet a more generic option gets added,
something like --cmdline "ip=x.x.x.x netmask=x.x.x.x gateway=x.x.x.x".
That'd make it trivial to have a site-specific shell wrapper that
sets up custom kernel command line arguments and solves a few other
occasional problems (like pci=nommconf) in one fell swoop. Other
neat stuff power users do could start working too. For example,
koan --replace-self --cmdline "ksdevice=$macaddr" (handy for
multi-homed Dell 1950's where you never know which interface will end
up as eth0).

I don't really have time to write the patch, or it'd be attached
It's a pretty simple modification though.

-Al

Old 05-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Michael DeHaan

Al Tobey wrote:

That's too bad ... I was looking forward to not having to maintain a
local version of koan any more. I'm not sure if it worked on EL4
since I mainly use koan -A for VM installs which run EL5 on dom0.

Yep... I'm willing to have it back, it was just doing some math that I
didn't have time to figure out and test.

Basically the code in question returned different values for 2.3 and 2.5.

My only request at this point is that either --ip, --netmask, and
--gateway get added for setting network configuration on the kernel
command line, or better yet a more generic option gets added,
something like --cmdline "ip=x.x.x.x netmask=x.x.x.x gateway=x.x.x.x".

I like this. For consistancy, maybe --kopts to match cobbler. As
there have been other requests for more

cobbler overrides in koan, that can fit into that idea. Will add.