Old 05-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Pablo Iranzo Gómez

Default Installing without PXE, and without the live CD -- "cobbler buildiso"

Aaron,
"buildiso" just copies all kernel and initrds not being for xen in an
ISO for you to burn it and boot your machines, so you've plenty space
for many many

AFAIK it doesn't use the --user to show only profiles owned by you, but
will need to test latest git code.

Livecd != buildiso

Regards
Pablo

El lun, 05-05-2008 a las 23:34 -0400, Aaron Lippold escribió:
> [...]
> that either do not have DHCP, or do not have
> control over DHCP that is sufficient enough to
> set up a PXE environment. Naturally, if you
> can set up a PXE environment with Cobbler,
> it's very useful to have, and you'll want it.
>
> So, along came the live CD.
>
> The live CD was built using a recent Fedora,
> and it had the magic ability to install any
> distro -- /except/ you had to use Fedora to
> build the Live CD, and the build process was
> slow, and the live image was a bit bigger than
> it needed to be. However, due to driver
> constraints, it didn't always support the
> latest in storage technology -- that was a
> problem.
>
> We have finally implemented the low-tech
> solution, thanks to various folks in Red Hat
> GPS, and some hacking I've done to integrate
> that closer into cobbler.
>
> Using 0.9.X or later (it's checked in now into
> the git "devel" branch) you can do:
>
> cobbler buildiso [--iso=] [--tempdir=]
> [--profiles=]
>
> This will automatically generate an ISO that
> allows for menus just like Cobbler's PXE boot
> menus, for installing new systems. I also
> plan to allow a configurable default profile
> for those who want to mass deploy this image
> using remote management processors, etc.
>
> The menu will contain an entry for each bare
> metal bootable profile, with the current data
> set in Cobbler. Given that Cobbler now
> generates kickstarts in real time, changes to
> the kickstart templates can be made without
> reburning the CD!
>
> Again, the live CD is more dynamic, but this
> is much smaller, faster, and easier to build.
> The one thing the live CD still offers is
> simulation of the MAC address detection
> feature of PXE, but if you don't need to use
> cobbler system records to provision your
> lab/datacenter/etc, this will also get you
> there -- and is probably the perfect fit if
> the Live CD was not working out for you.
>
> Test release will be available soon, git is
> available now.
>
> --Michael
>

> If the iso(s) can be made available through the web
> infrastructure, and accessible via a predefined or
> calculated path, then a external rules engine could
> drive the provisioning process through the remote
> management processors's virtual media capabilities.
>
> It can
>
> mkdir /var/www/html/foo
> cobbler buildiso --iso=/var/www/html/foo/kickstart.iso
> I just need add the flag for setting what the default is and
> making the timeouts variable.
>

> Perhaps the profiles module could be extended to
> define whether a iso should be generated or not. An
> easy way to automatically generate boot isos.
>

> Right now there's some basic code to keep paravirt "-xen"
> distros from showing up on the ISO since they have no chance
> of being bootable. Though that is a good idea.
>
> Another possibility is to add it as "cobbler profile edit
> --name=foo ... --menu=foo" to do submenus, and if we really

Pablo Iranzo Gómez (Pablo.Iranzo@redhat.com)
RHCE/Global Profesional Services Consultant Spain
Phone: +34 645 01 01 49 (CET/CEST)
GnuPG KeyID: 0xFAD3CF0D
---
Dirección Comercial: C/Jose Bardasano Baos, 9, Edif. Gorbea 3, planta 3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain
Dirección Registrada: Red Hat S.L., C/ Velazquez 63, Madrid 28001, Spain
Inscrita en el Reg. Mercantil de Madrid – C.I.F. B82657941

Old 05-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Michael DeHaan

Pablo Iranzo Gmez wrote:

Aaron,
"buildiso" just copies all kernel and initrds not being for xen in an
ISO for you to burn it and boot your machines, so you've plenty space
for many many

Indeed you do, although if you want to add only certain profiles, that
is what I have in mind regarding:

cobbler buildiso --profiles=a,b,c,d,e

Though this is only really necessary if you are making images for, say,
32 mb USB sticks from 1997

Putting a single distro on a CD makes a 24 Mb image or so. Also, if
multiple profiles share the same distro, the kernels/initrds are only

copied once for each distro, not once for each profile.

So this is really a non-issue.

AFAIK it doesn't use the --user to show only profiles owned by you, but
will need to test latest git code.

Ownership affects who can make changes to objects using the WebUI, but
anyone can always deploy any profile.

Livecd != buildiso

Regards
Pablo

El lun, 05-05-2008 a las 23:34 -0400, Aaron Lippold escribi:

Hi,

One other option that would be useful is what if my cobbler server has
a whole lot of profiles but I only want a few or the situation where -
since we have module ownership now - I only want "my profiles" on the
iso.

From what I read before, createiso basically mirrors the cobbler