Old 05-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Michael DeHaan

Default Do you use cobbler's support for dnsmasq?

With John Eckersberg's recent patch (and likely future extensions),
Cobbler will be acquiring very good support for bind, so Cobbler can
manage DHCP and DNS at the same time using more scalable tools.
Similarly, we can now manage DHCP without restarts (Pablo Iranzo Gomez's
patch). So then, I'm wondering what are the reasons we would have for
continuing to support dnsmasq?

If you would be affected by removal of dnsmasq support, I'd like to hear
from you, as to why you would like it to stay in place. This does not
neccessarily eliminate the ability to have seperate options in Cobbler
for (more modular) DHCP/DNS choices in the future. (Likely this is
something we could use /etc/cobbler/modules.conf for).

--Michael

Old 05-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Matt Hyclak

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:09:34AM -0400, Michael DeHaan enlightened us:
> With John Eckersberg's recent patch (and likely future extensions),
> Cobbler will be acquiring very good support for bind, so Cobbler can
> manage DHCP and DNS at the same time using more scalable tools.
> Similarly, we can now manage DHCP without restarts (Pablo Iranzo Gomez's
> patch). So then, I'm wondering what are the reasons we would have for
> continuing to support dnsmasq?
>
> If you would be affected by removal of dnsmasq support, I'd like to hear
> from you, as to why you would like it to stay in place. This does not
> neccessarily eliminate the ability to have seperate options in Cobbler
> for (more modular) DHCP/DNS choices in the future. (Likely this is
> something we could use /etc/cobbler/modules.conf for).

I use dnsmasq to handle the DNS for my internal server network and let
cobbler manage it. Saves me headache.

I have used bind before, and if the support is there I could probably make
the switch back, but I'd recommend getting it in for lots of testing before
removing dnsmasq support.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics

Old 05-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Michael DeHaan

Matt Hyclak wrote:

[...]

One idea that came up on IRC and that I've been thinking about is to use
the cobbler/modules.conf
system to select the DNS types, and move the DHCP/DNS code into the
cobbler modules directory.
This would allow cleaning up a lot of the underlying infrastructure and
still keeping this around.

Still, more feedback welcome... as I'm curious as to how widely this is
being used (and also how

high dnsmasq is scaling)

Thanks!

--Michael