Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 AM

Default koan-installation hangs

Hi,

I successfully installed cobbler and I can use it to install Redhat
Enterprise Linux
over PXE over a dedicated interface on the cobblerserver.

But I would like to also install virtual machines with koan over the
public interface of the cobblerserver, where I am stuck at the moment.

I can start the installation with koan, but the problem is, that the
domU that is being created is not able
to get an IP-Adress for the installation process over DHCP, because not
in every subnet there is a DHCP-Server.So the domU should have a static
ip-address for the installation process to be able to download the
kickstart-file.

I tried to configure /var/lib/cobbler/settings with:

kernel_options:
ksdevice: link
lang: ' '
text: ~
ip: 192.168.0.1
netmask: 255.255.255.0
network: static
device: eth0

The problem is, when the install-kernel boots, it hangs at
XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vbd/51712
XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vif/0
Freeing unused kernel memory: 168k freed
Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 360k

Then nothing more happens and virt-manager only shows a blue screen.

Do you have any idea what's going wrong ?

Thanks in advance
Kind Regards

Tim

Old 04-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Pablo Iranzo Gómez

Hi
Try to start an VNC installation and check VT3 and 4 for information,
also try to use the full network parameters on command line and not
specify any "dhcp" option on kickstart.

Not tested, but have a look at --autonet parameter for Koan.

Regards
Pablo

El lun, 21-04-2008 a las 10:06 +0200, Tim.Einmahl@kba.de escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I successfully installed cobbler and I can use it to install Redhat
> Enterprise Linux
> over PXE over a dedicated interface on the cobblerserver.
>
> But I would like to also install virtual machines with koan over the
> public interface of the cobblerserver, where I am stuck at the moment.
>
> I can start the installation with koan, but the problem is, that the
> domU that is being created is not able
> to get an IP-Adress for the installation process over DHCP, because not
> in every subnet there is a DHCP-Server.So the domU should have a static
> ip-address for the installation process to be able to download the
> kickstart-file.
>
> I tried to configure /var/lib/cobbler/settings with:
>
> kernel_options:
> ksdevice: link
> lang: ' '
> text: ~
> ip: 192.168.0.1
> netmask: 255.255.255.0
> network: static
> device: eth0
>
> The problem is, when the install-kernel boots, it hangs at
> XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vbd/51712
> XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vif/0
> Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 360k
>
> Then nothing more happens and virt-manager only shows a blue screen.
>
> Do you have any idea what's going wrong ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Kind Regards
>
> Tim

Pablo Iranzo Gómez (Pablo.Iranzo@redhat.com)
RHCE/Global Profesional Services Consultant Spain
Phone: +34 645 01 01 49 (CET/CEST)
GnuPG KeyID: 0xFAD3CF0D
---
Dirección Comercial: C/Jose Bardasano Baos, 9, Edif. Gorbea 3, planta 3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain
Dirección Registrada: Red Hat S.L., C/ Velazquez 63, Madrid 28001, Spain
Inscrita en el Reg. Mercantil de Madrid – C.I.F. B82657941