Old 04-18-2008, 07:27 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

Default RFC Cobbler Purge command

This is probably overkill, but as I am trying to install various
'channels' from DVD's I realized that I wanted to remove some DVD's
later and trying to track all the data down connected to it wasn't
something immediately known.

cobbler purge <distro|profile|repo|system> --name=<?> [--force]

Would be a way to 'wipe' out data from a system if it is no longer
needed (system may be overkill) but would allow for you to something
like

cobbler purge distro --name=rhel-4.6-as-xen-i386

WARNING: profile UNM-rhel4-xen-base is linked to distro rhel-4.6-as-xen-i386
WARNING: system xxx_unm_edu is linked to UNM-rhel4-xen-base
WARNING: system prn_unm_edu is linked to UNM-rhel4-xen-base

The user could then move those to other profiles (somehow). And if a
--force is done then they all are removed from the system removing all
the rpm directories in /var/www/cobbler etc connected to that profile.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Michael DeHaan

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

[...]

I agree.

There are a couple of things available already for this in 0.8.X that
get you halfway:

cobbler distro delete --name=foo will warn (but doesn't give the full
linkage report of everything affected...it most definitely should).
cobbler distro delete --name=foo --recursive will delete child objects
(it's a valid command on profiles also)

There's also a ticket open for a --delete-files option, which would do
the rest.

(This would involve finding things that were obviously mirrored by
cobbler and clearing them out.)

Support for deletion and assigning objects to other objects could be
interesting as well, but can be done with an edit before

running the delete in that case.

If we added a command like "cobbler system whatuses --profile=X" we
could possibly do all sorts of clever things with xargs. That may be
crazy though

--Michael