Old 04-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Robin Bowes

Default virt-p2v - does it support md and lvm

Hi,

Does virt-p2v support LVM? The reason I ask is that I recently tried to
migrate a FC4 machine to a guest and it failed.

The machine disk configuration is as follows:

- two physical disks
- Each disk has two partitions of type "Linux raid autodetect"
- md0 is made up of /dev/hde1 & /dev/hdf1
- md1 is made up of /dev/hde2 and /dev/hdf2
- md0 is used as /boot
- md1 is an LVM PV.
- All the PV is allocated to a VG named "VolGroup00"
- The system file systems are LVs in VolGroup00:
lv_home VolGroup00 -wi-ao 5.00G
lv_root VolGroup00 -wi-ao 1.00G
lv_swap_01 VolGroup00 -wi-ao 1.50G
lv_usr VolGroup00 -wi-ao 5.00G
lv_var VolGroup00 -wi-ao 61.88G

When asked to choose the partition containing the root fs, it showed me
two partitions, both labeled as "unknown".

Will the configuration work? Or does virt-2pv not support it?

R.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:21 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 04:19:07PM +0100, Robin Bowes wrote:
> Does virt-p2v support LVM? The reason I ask is that I recently tried to
> migrate a FC4 machine to a guest and it failed.

LVM - yes.

md (RAID) obviously not, but I'm not quite sure why. It relies on the
kernel to reconstruct RAID arrays and such like. Could you send me
the output of 'dmesg' and '/tmp/virt-p2v.log' from that machine?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top