Old 04-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Tom Brown

Default koan - rh7.3 - possible?

Hi

I have some _really_ old OS installs that i am keen to refresh to our
standard but they are RH7.3 - Does anyone know if there is a koan around
for rh7.3 or even if it would work? Id prefer to not have to boot a koan
ISO if at all possible.

thanks

Old 04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Michael DeHaan

Tom Brown wrote:

Hi

I have some _really_ old OS installs that i am keen to refresh to our
standard but they are RH7.3 - Does anyone know if there is a koan
around for rh7.3 or even if it would work? Id prefer to not have to
boot a koan ISO if at all possible.

thanks

Most likely not. It is expected to run as far back as RHEL3, though
not before. However, you /might/ be able to get it to work if you

rebuild the source rpm. I haven't tried it.

(The live CD is of course still available, as is network boot)

--Michael

Old 04-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Tom Brown

Most likely not. It is expected to run as far back as RHEL3, though
not before. However, you /might/ be able to get it to work if you

rebuild the source rpm. I haven't tried it.

i will try some more but i doubt it will work as it seems
python-setuptools is not available for 7.3

Old 04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Tom Brown <tom@ng23.net> wrote:

> > Most likely not. It is expected to run as far back as RHEL3, though not
> before. However, you /might/ be able to get it to work if you
> > rebuild the source rpm. I haven't tried it.
> >

> i will try some more but i doubt it will work as it seems python-setuptools
> is not available for 7.3

The python for 7.3 is pre-2 if I remember correctly. It is doubtful
that you will be able to get the changes backported. I would say look
to see if you can upgrade them to something other than 7.3 because
well the security holes in those are pretty big.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Tom Brown

The python for 7.3 is pre-2 if I remember correctly. It is doubtful
that you will be able to get the changes backported. I would say look
to see if you can upgrade them to something other than 7.3 because
well the security holes in those are pretty big.

indeed - hence koan for the rebuild - seems though that PXE or Koan CD
are the only options

thanks

Old 04-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Michael DeHaan

Tom Brown wrote:

The python for 7.3 is pre-2 if I remember correctly. It is doubtful
that you will be able to get the changes backported. I would say look
to see if you can upgrade them to something other than 7.3 because
well the security holes in those are pretty big.

indeed - hence koan for the rebuild - seems though that PXE or Koan CD
are the only options

thanks

In all fairness -- they are much better options. --replace-self
assumes the system is bootable (and probably network accessible if you
want to automate mass replacement), so if you wreck your OS on any of
them, you are going to want one of the other options anyway.

If you don't have PXE capability in your network, fighting to get it is
well worth it. If not, the ISO (other than requiring physical
access -- assuming you don't have a management card that allows pushing
ISO's down), will achieve PXE-equivalent capability.

This works especially well if you use the pxe_just_once setting in
/var/lib/cobbler/settings and set your machines up to PXE every time

they boot.

In this scenario, reinstallations can be done as simply as:

cobbler system edit --name=FOO --netboot-enabled=1 --profile=newprofile
(and cycle power once)

Once the system completes installing, it will deactivate it's PXE
configuration file and PXE through to local boot until you decide to
reinstall it again.

--Michael

Old 04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Tom Brown

[...]

yes - i can PXE on _most_ of the network(s) just not this one, at the
moment at least i am working on that, so until i reach that goal i'll
use a koan CD - I have management cards where i can attach the iso so i
dont actually have to be there

thanks