Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Jennifer Cranfill

Default Idea for Cobbler pxe rescue mode?

Last night I had to do the following procedure with Cobbler to boot a
remote server into rescue mode. I'm wondering if any one else thinks it
would be worthwhile to incorporate a rescue mode feature into Cobbler's
handling of pxe files? Or is there already one that I don't know about?

We maintain a number of remote critical servers, and I think it would be
useful, especially as in the procedure below I had to be careful that no
one else rebooted the server or ran "cobbler sync" while I was updating
the pxe file. Also, it might be possible to automate more of the rescue
boot.

1) cobbler system edit --name=<sysname> --netboot-enabled=y; cobbler sync
2) cd /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg
3) Edit the file corresponding to the MAC of <sysname>. Take everything
out of the append line except the initrd and add "rescue", like so:

append rescue initrd=/images/51x64/initrd.img
4) Reboot <sysname>
5) When the system boots, it will ask you for language and keyboard and
then it will ask you for the location of the *rescue* media. Just give
it the http to the normal install files for the distro matching the initrd.

6) cobbler system edit --name=<sysname> --netboot-enabled=n; cobbler sync

I took the idea from this Red Hat page:
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/07/05/solutions-from-the-road-red-hat-enterprise-linux-rescue-mode-over-pxe-part-i/

I'd be happy to help with the code, but not sure the right way to
architect it, perhaps some variant of netboot-enabled?

Thanks for your consideration!

--
Jennifer Cranfill
Systems Engineer

Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Michael DeHaan

Jennifer Cranfill wrote:
Last night I had to do the following procedure with Cobbler to boot a
remote server into rescue mode. I'm wondering if any one else thinks
it would be worthwhile to incorporate a rescue mode feature into
Cobbler's handling of pxe files? Or is there already one that I don't
know about?

Could we create "rescue" profiles automatically when we do imports?

It would just be a different profile ending in "-rescue" that would just
have "--kopts=rescue" added. Example "DistroName-i386-rescue". The
other thing we /might/ want to do is set up a kickstart template for
that profile (and assign it) that can be used to feed the rescue image
the media information, so you don't have to enter that in manually.

Presumably that could all be done with modifications to action_import.py

[...]

If we do something like having a rescue profile, it's just:

cobbler system edit --name=server1 --profile=F-9-i386-rescue
--netboot-enabled=1

# fix system
cobbler system edit --name=server1 --profile=originalname
--netboot-enabled=0

The one thing that requires is knowing the proper rescue profile for
server1, so it's possible we could add a --rescueprofile= to the system
and also have a --rescuemode=1/0 like --netboot-enabled if you think
that's useful. That could be interesting.

That workflow might be like:

cobbler system edit --name=server1 --rescuemode (rescuemode could
actually set netboot-enabled to 1 for simplicity)
cobbler system edit --name =server1 --workingmode (this could set
netboot enabled back)
I'd be happy to help with the code, but not sure the right way to
architect it, perhaps some variant of netboot-enabled?

Sounds great!

Yeah I think the first step is making the rescue profiles when imports
are done, the second stage is probably something like

netboot-enabled (as above) if you like the workflow? Is that close?

I think I'd start taking a look at import for starters -- and if that's
not all that's needed we can work it from there.

Cool idea!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Michael DeHaan

Michael DeHaan wrote:

Jennifer Cranfill wrote:
[...]

To clarify syntax a bit more and see if we're on the same page, how
about the following?

cobbler import --name=F9A --mirror=path
# automatically creates F9A-i386, F9A-i386-xen, F9A-i386-rescue as both
distros and profiles (action_import.py)
# automatically does the equivalent of "cobbler profile edit
--name=F9A-i386 --rescueprofile=F9A-i386-rescue"

Basically the above would allow any given profile to store the name of
/another/ profile that is used for rescue mode.
You may ask "why isn't rescue mode part of the distro", and the answer
here is that if it's a profile we can take advantage

of it also showing up in PXE menus automatically.

System syntax could also look like this:

cobbler system edit --name=F9A --rescuemode [implies --netboot-enabled=1]
cobbler system edit --name=F9A --workingmode [--netboot-enabled=1/0]

The commands --rescuemode would toggle netboot-enabled and temporarily
set up PXE to point to the rescue profile.
The command --workingmode would set it back, but at no time do you have
to remember what the proper rescue distro

is for a given system -- because it asks the profile for that info.

This would be something that would be really easy to incorporate into
the web interface as well -- as it would just be a couple of checkboxes.

That eventually involves also modifying files like action_sync.py and
modules/cli_system.py and item_system.py/item_profile.py -- though
nothing too invasive. (And I can help on this...)

--Michael

Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Jennifer Cranfill

Michael DeHaan wrote:

Michael DeHaan wrote:

> Could we create "rescue" profiles automatically when we do imports?
> It would just be a different profile ending in "-rescue" that would
> just have "--kopts=rescue" added. Example "DistroName-i386-rescue".
> The other thing we /might/ want to do is set up a kickstart template

> for that profile (and assign it) that can be used to feed the rescue
> image the media information, so you don't have to enter that in
> manually.
> Presumably that could all be done with modifications to action_import.py
>

> If we do something like having a rescue profile, it's just:
>
> cobbler system edit --name=server1 --profile=F-9-i386-rescue
> --netboot-enabled=1
> # fix system
> cobbler system edit --name=server1 --profile=originalname
> --netboot-enabled=0
>
> The one thing that requires is knowing the proper rescue profile for
> server1, so it's possible we could add a --rescueprofile= to the
> system and also have a --rescuemode=1/0 like --netboot-enabled if you
> think that's useful. That could be interesting.
>
> That workflow might be like:
>
> cobbler system edit --name=server1 --rescuemode (rescuemode could
> actually set netboot-enabled to 1 for simplicity)
> cobbler system edit --name =server1 --workingmode (this could set
> netboot enabled back)

To clarify syntax a bit more and see if we're on the same page, how
about the following?

cobbler import --name=F9A --mirror=path
# automatically creates F9A-i386, F9A-i386-xen, F9A-i386-rescue as both
distros and profiles (action_import.py)
# automatically does the equivalent of "cobbler profile edit
--name=F9A-i386 --rescueprofile=F9A-i386-rescue"

Basically the above would allow any given profile to store the name of
/another/ profile that is used for rescue mode.
You may ask "why isn't rescue mode part of the distro", and the answer
here is that if it's a profile we can take advantage
of it also showing up in PXE menus automatically.

System syntax could also look like this:

cobbler system edit --name=F9A --rescuemode [implies --netboot-enabled=1]
cobbler system edit --name=F9A --workingmode [--netboot-enabled=1/0]

The commands --rescuemode would toggle netboot-enabled and temporarily
set up PXE to point to the rescue profile.
The command --workingmode would set it back, but at no time do you have
to remember what the proper rescue distro
is for a given system -- because it asks the profile for that info.

This would be something that would be really easy to incorporate into
the web interface as well -- as it would just be a couple of checkboxes.

That eventually involves also modifying files like action_sync.py and
modules/cli_system.py and item_system.py/item_profile.py -- though
nothing too invasive. (And I can help on this...)

That sounds great to me! I like the idea of putting it in the profile.
I'll start taking a look at the code. Thanks Michael!

--Jennifer