Old 03-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Tom Brown

Default RHEL 5.1 - Xen 3.2 - 'oddness'

Hi

I rebuilt the Xen 3.2 src rpm for x86_64 so that i could run 32bit
guests on my RHEL5.1 64 bit dom0 - It now works and i get can the guests
installed but i have come accross something strange. In cobbler the
params for --virt-ram and --virt-file-size seem ignored. Even though the
profile i have associated with my xen vm's has 20gig disks and 2 gig RAM
the guest is installed with 1gig RAM and 1 gig disk.

If i install a vanilla RHEL5.1 32bit and install the same Xen domU onto
that, ie no changes are made to the guest configuration, then the memory
and disk parameters are followed. There are no errors noted during the
creation of the domU so has anyone seen this before?

thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Michael DeHaan

Tom Brown wrote:

Hi

I rebuilt the Xen 3.2 src rpm for x86_64 so that i could run 32bit
guests on my RHEL5.1 64 bit dom0 - It now works and i get can the
guests installed but i have come accross something strange. In cobbler
the params for --virt-ram and --virt-file-size seem ignored. Even
though the profile i have associated with my xen vm's has 20gig disks
and 2 gig RAM the guest is installed with 1gig RAM and 1 gig disk.

If i install a vanilla RHEL5.1 32bit and install the same Xen domU
onto that, ie no changes are made to the guest configuration, then the
memory and disk parameters are followed. There are no errors noted
during the creation of the domU so has anyone seen this before?

If it works fine with the stock versions, could it be that your Xen
version are somehow incompatible with the version of
libvirt/python-virtinst you have installed?

thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:41:40AM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Tom Brown wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >I rebuilt the Xen 3.2 src rpm for x86_64 so that i could run 32bit
> >guests on my RHEL5.1 64 bit dom0 - It now works and i get can the
> >guests installed but i have come accross something strange. In cobbler
> >the params for --virt-ram and --virt-file-size seem ignored. Even
> >though the profile i have associated with my xen vm's has 20gig disks
> >and 2 gig RAM the guest is installed with 1gig RAM and 1 gig disk.
>

> >If i install a vanilla RHEL5.1 32bit and install the same Xen domU
> >onto that, ie no changes are made to the guest configuration, then the
> >memory and disk parameters are followed. There are no errors noted
> >during the creation of the domU so has anyone seen this before?
> >

> If it works fine with the stock versions, could it be that your Xen
> version are somehow incompatible with the version of
> libvirt/python-virtinst you have installed?

Practically 100% guarnetteed. The libvirt version in RHEL-5.1 is only
tested to support upto Xen 3.1.x series. Xen is notorious for breaking
its ABI & API across releases & I know for a fact there are multiple
things broken between 3.1.x and 3.2.x Xen which impacts libvirt. So if
you upgrade RHEL5 to Xen 3.2 you almost certainly will need to update
to the latest libvirt release too

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston -o- http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|

Old 03-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Tom Brown

Practically 100% guarnetteed. The libvirt version in RHEL-5.1 is only
tested to support upto Xen 3.1.x series. Xen is notorious for breaking
its ABI & API across releases & I know for a fact there are multiple
things broken between 3.1.x and 3.2.x Xen which impacts libvirt. So if
you upgrade RHEL5 to Xen 3.2 you almost certainly will need to update
to the latest libvirt release too

looks like i will have to try and repackage the latest libvirt also then
which so far is proving to be a bit of nightmare