Old 03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
"Sandor W. Sklar"

Default virt-bridge option not working in koan 0.8.0?

On Mar 27, 2008, at 1:13 PM, Michael DeHaan wrote:

Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

Hmm, ok, thanks ... that makes sense, but the wiki page clearly
shows it being used as an option to "koan" ...

To force a specific choice, or to use a bridge that does not follow
the pethX/ethX convention, you can use --virt-bridge and specify
the name of any bridge you like. Note that this must be a /real/
bridge, and not a physical interface.

koan --server=bootserver.example.org --profile=RHEL5-i386 --virt --
virt-bridge=peth0

Yes, this was trimmed in a previous release. It's something we can
consider adding back if it's useful, though in general I want to
limit the amount of options we provide to koan to keep the focus
around centralized management and repeatable profiles.

No, that makes sense. For me, (and understand, I'm a total beginner
at the koan and virtualization stuff here), the biggest problem is
keeping the documentation up-to-date and in sync with the current
version of the tools. I'd love to contribute to the wiki, once I've
got a better understanding of all of this, but I think in general,
while the tools are of excellent quality, and the support provided on
this and other lists is superb, it would be good to have some more
fundamental documentation or "how-tos", targeted perhaps at people
familiar with RHEL and general Linux administration, but who aren't
that in touch with the deployment of virtual machines. This might be
my shortcoming though, and perhaps the Cobbler/Koan environment isn't
the proper place to host that type of doc.

I believe this was pulled at the same time we added multiple virtual
NIC support for cobbler (where you can specify dual homed virtual
machines, etc), since then it would be possible to create a profile
that required a specific number of NICs, and in that context, you
could override it with an incompatible configuration (such as one
NIC). However that's a shoot-foot scenario so I'm not sure the use
case justifies removing the option.

Thoughts?

Ah, well, I like options where I can get them, but only options that
help me, not those that I can shoot myself with. :-)

Thanks,
-s-

Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Michael DeHaan

Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

[...]

Glad you mentioned it...

After 1.0 is released, I am intending to write a very long/detailed
PDF/manual on datacenter deployment using Cobbler that will cover all of
this. PXE, Virt, various strategies rolling up all of the existing
documentation, etc. I intend for it to be CC-licensed and aimed right at
that kind of thing.

That will likely be sometime toward the middle of this year.

Ah, well, I like options where I can get them, but only options that
help me, not those that I can shoot myself with. :-)

Good deal

Thanks,
-s-

Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 PM
"Sandor W. Sklar"

[...]

I, for one, would pay real money for something like that. If you need
a beta reader/tester, I volunteer! :-)

Old 03-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Michael DeHaan

Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

[...]

Thanks!

I'll post to the list when that's ongoing.

I'm probably planning on doing something in DocBook/Publican so we
anyone can submit patches to the docs, and we can rebuild the manual

any time we like (and ship it in /usr/share/doc, even).

--Michael