Old 03-27-2008, 06:57 PM
"Sandor W. Sklar"

Default virt-bridge option not working in koan 0.8.0?

Hi, Folks ...

I'm just starting to work with koan with the goal of deploying Xen
virtual machines. I've got my cobbler server set up and installing
physical systems, and its working great.

I'm following the wiki page <https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/VirtNetworkingSetupForUseWithKoan
>, and at the top, it says "to take advantage of the --virt-bridge
parameter, please upgrade to 0.6.1 or higher.

My "live" physical interface on this system is "eth2", and so with the
xen kernel, I've got the interfaces:

eth2
lo
peth2
vif0.2
virbr0
xenbr2

My koan version is:

# rpm -q koan
koan-0.8.0-1

... and yet:

# koan --virt --nogfx --server=sulk --profile=rhel5Server-xen-x86_64 --
virt-bridge=xenbr2

Usage: koan [options]

koan: error: no such option: --virt-bridge

Am I doing something wrong? It looks like I've got the latest
released version of koan (built from the src.rpm.)

Thanks,
-s-

Old 03-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Michael DeHaan

Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

Hi, Folks ...

I'm just starting to work with koan with the goal of deploying Xen
virtual machines. I've got my cobbler server set up and installing
physical systems, and its working great.

I'm following the wiki page
<https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/VirtNetworkingSetupForUseWithKoan>,
and at the top, it says "to take advantage of the --virt-bridge
parameter, please upgrade to 0.6.1 or higher.

My "live" physical interface on this system is "eth2", and so with the
xen kernel, I've got the interfaces:

It's an option in Cobbler, but not koan.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 PM
"Sandor W. Sklar"

On Mar 27, 2008, at 1:03 PM, Michael DeHaan wrote:

Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

Hi, Folks ...

I'm just starting to work with koan with the goal of deploying Xen
virtual machines. I've got my cobbler server set up and installing
physical systems, and its working great.

I'm following the wiki page <https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/VirtNetworkingSetupForUseWithKoan
>, and at the top, it says "to take advantage of the --virt-bridge
parameter, please upgrade to 0.6.1 or higher.

My "live" physical interface on this system is "eth2", and so with
the xen kernel, I've got the interfaces:

It's an option in Cobbler, but not koan.

Hmm, ok, thanks ... that makes sense, but the wiki page clearly shows
it being used as an option to "koan" ...

To force a specific choice, or to use a bridge that does not follow
the pethX/ethX convention, you can use --virt-bridge and specify the
name of any bridge you like. Note that this must be a /real/ bridge,
and not a physical interface.

koan --server=bootserver.example.org --profile=RHEL5-i386 --virt --
virt-bridge=peth0

Old 03-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Michael DeHaan

Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

[...]

Yes, this was trimmed in a previous release. It's something we can
consider adding back if it's useful, though in general I want to limit
the amount of options we provide to koan to keep the focus around
centralized management and repeatable profiles.

I believe this was pulled at the same time we added multiple virtual NIC
support for cobbler (where you can specify dual homed virtual machines,
etc), since then it would be possible to create a profile that required
a specific number of NICs, and in that context, you could override it
with an incompatible configuration (such as one NIC). However that's a
shoot-foot scenario so I'm not sure the use case justifies removing the
option.

Thoughts?