Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Jack Neely

Default Thoughts on Cobbler authorization/authentication and access levels in your organization?

Michael,

Here at NCSU I have an existing provisioning system that generates
kickstarts based on a set of "keyword [value [value...]]" rules. We'd
like to continue to use that as it works well for us...and it integrates
with Cobbler well.

So given that, admins already have the ability to control/alter their
profiles in a defined way that scales well and lonely me can support.

What I'd like from Cobbler is the ability for a select few admins (like
me) to be able to setup all the bits to make Cobbler distros/profiles
etc. work.

Normal admins should be able to associate a MAC address with a profile
and remove said MAC. Actually, it would be great if an admin could
associate a hostname/IP address with a profile and Cobbler would run a
plugin to translate that into a MAC.

Groups of admins as well. Any admin can modify MAC->profile of any
other admin provided both are in the same group.

Authentication via kerberos (PAM probably) authorization done by auto
generated groups of admins (a plugin)?

Okay...some half-baked ideas about how I see a workflow here. If you
have questions please feel free.

Jack Neely
--
Jack Neely <jjneely@ncsu.edu>
Linux Czar, OIT Campus Linux Services

Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Jack Neely

Michael,

While things are floating across my mind...

I know I've heard mention of a SQL backend for the configuration.
That's pretty much a requirement for me as I need to duplicate the
service (2 boxes) for that disaster recovery policy. My shared storage
is AFS (mostly) which..well..likes to eat files that two servers/people
are editing at the same time. And bdb just falls on its face. Who
needs POSIX?

I'm really using Cobbler to glue together a lot of pre-existing
services: profile management, yum repos, web apps that collect/display
status information, etc. Its been fun so far...now to find more time.
:-)

Jack