Old 02-05-2008, 07:04 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default Hello! I have been testing the latest version of virt-p2v

Lester M. wrote:
[I'm CC-ing this to the et-mgmt-tools list since it's better if everyone
can follow these discussions]

Looking over the configuration file...

I see something strange in my config generated... Hmmm...

*<emulator>/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm</emulator>*

Heres the problem of the above: This is a 32bit dom0 and the above path
/ binary does not exist on the box.

However, this *does *exist in "/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm".... going to
test it with this in the config. .... Works! woo hoo!

Ah right, that's actually a bug in the code around here (line 1384 in
the current development version):

let devices =
let emulator =
match state.hypervisor with
| Some Xen ->
[leaf "emulator" "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"] (* XXX lib64? *)

The fix for this is for virt-p2v to connect to the remote hypervisor
(using libvirt/libvirtd) and issue a virConnectGetCapabilities call. In
the capabilities XML there is the correct emulator path.

However I haven't got around to this yet.

Interesting minor configuration error. Something to ask what
architecture (i386 or x86_64) at the begining of the p2v could fix that
based on a user choice, That seemed to fix it! :-D

I have a few other machines I can test addendums to virt-p2v. Not
everyone uses 64 bit dom0's even though everyone should. :-)

Please do!

Rich.

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, United Kingdom. Registered in

Old 02-07-2008, 03:13 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Lester M. wrote:

Quick question, are fedora users able to do paravirt migrations with fedora
8 currently? I noticed that for fedora 8 in particular there is no xenU
kernel package or update, so when a system is migrated it is as a full-virt.

For paravirt-to-paravirt you can do an ordinary migration, like this:

virsh migrate [--live] guest xen://otherhost/

But I'm guessing you mean P2V, and converting the physical machine into
a paravirt guest (rather than as at the moment into a fullvirt guest),
and the answer to this is _yes_, but not as far as I know in Fedora.

For RHEL you can install the PV drivers after doing the P2V. The
eventual plan for virt-p2v is to be able to do this automatically during
the P2V operation. Hence I added the RHEL PV binaries to virt-p2v in
preparation for this:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virt-p2v--devel?cs=bc808b3656fb

Fedora policy prevents these drivers from being included in Fedora,
because they are not part of the Linus tree. You'd have to compile them
yourself and maintain them (or help get them upstream ...)

BTW, installing these drivers doesn't make the guest completely
paravirtual. The guest will still look like a fullvirt guest,
particularly w.r.t. how it handles the CPU & memory. However they do
improve the important things -- disk and network -- which means you get
almost all of the performance benefit of paravirtualization.

Oh, another thing, a cool feature would be to have a select choice of which
type of virtualization to use (para or full.). Its a nice feature to have,
but with the current "state of xen" I guess the biggest hurdle which may add
"bloat" to the iso image would be to include xenU kernels. :-(

See above - yes this in the eventual plan for virt-p2v.

I remember reading *somewhere* about fedora being behind with xen based
kernels and backporting changes, would that impact that idea somewhat?

Yes. The latest Linux kernel supported by XenSource is something
ancient, and Red Hat devotes some developer resources to forward-porting
Xen to newer Linux kernels, but even so we are still a bit behind.

I have not tried a rhel 5 system yet (I will today) I am guessing by default
they will be a full virt migration right?

See above.