Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default virt-p2v

Andrew Peabody wrote:

Hi Richard,

I just wanted to let you know that virt-p2v is really awesome, I had
been looking tool to do just this. Sorry if contacting you directly is
not the correct way to do this, but I could only find you email address
in the readme file.

It appears that currently it cannot properly handle machines running on
linux software raid. The disks appear only as /dev/* partitions, and
running virt-p2v on them fails during the snapshot operation, probably
because the partitions are type mdraid. However even when the partition
is change to 83, it still acts really weird. Looking through virt-p2v
it appears that it can only handle regular partitions and lvm. I was
just curious if you had thought of adding support for md devices,
otherwise I might try to do it myself.

Any help is always welcome.

Out of interest, which version are you using?

Is your root directory RAIDed too?

For general problems, the right mailing list to use is:

Rich.

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, United Kingdom. Registered in

Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 PM
"Andrew Peabody"

Out of interest, which version are you using?

Is your root directory RAIDed too?

For general problems, the right mailing list to use is:

Rich.

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, United Kingdom.**Registered in

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the pointer to the mailing list.

I was using 0.9.1 with a RAIDed root directory.* For example

/dev/md0** /boot

/dev/md1** swap

/dev/md2** /

However, currently the live CD does not autostart the raid devices.

Thanks,

Andrew

Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Andrew Peabody wrote:

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the pointer to the mailing list.

I was using 0.9.1 with a RAIDed root directory. For example

/dev/md0 /boot
/dev/md1 swap
/dev/md2 /

However, currently the live CD does not autostart the raid devices.

Yes, it only considers /dev/hd* and /dev/sd* to be hard disk devices.

Patches welcome to fix this one ... I may get around to getting up a
RAID array to test this, but probably not very soon.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:01 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 07:59:45PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Andrew Peabody wrote:
> >Hi Rich,
> >
> >Thanks for the pointer to the mailing list.
> >
> >I was using 0.9.1 with a RAIDed root directory. For example
> >
> >/dev/md0 /boot
> >/dev/md1 swap
> >/dev/md2 /
> >
> >However, currently the live CD does not autostart the raid devices.
>
> Yes, it only considers /dev/hd* and /dev/sd* to be hard disk devices.

Can't you just ask HAL for the list of harddisks so you get everything
including /dev/hda*, /dev/sd*, /dev/md*, and even the very wierd compaq
stuff like /dev/cciss/*

Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston. +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=- Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ -=|