Old 02-01-2008, 12:06 AM
"Sandor W. Sklar"

Default Creating a yum repo (via cobbler) from "scratch"?

I apologize in advance if my questions here are "dumb", but I'm kind
of new to this, and am trying to wrap my head around a lot of
information.

I've successfully set up a basic cobbler (0.6.5) on an RHEL 5 server,
have imported a distro from the rhel-5.1-server-x86_64-dvd iso, and
have PXE booted and built a basic system from this cobbler server.
That I was able to do all of that in a day of work was amazing, and a
testament to the quality of all of the software involved.

My question is this: I'd like to set up a yum repository, available
from the cobbler server, containing a few RPMs that aren't available
from another repository (meaning, I'm not "mirroring" another
repository.) One example would be that I want to have my own
repository of the IBM TSM client RPMs, which one only gets by FTPing
them from IBM's site:

$ ls -1 *.rpm
TIVsm-API64.i386.rpm
TIVsm-API.i386.rpm
TIVsm-BA.i386.rpm
TIVsm-HSM.i386.rpm

I'd like to have it so I could simply run "yum install tsm-client" on
a system built from my cobbler server, and have the above RPMs and
their dependencies (all included in rhel5 core) installed. This
question might be best for a yum-specific list, but since cobbler has
repository mirroring integrated, I'd give it a shot here. Is there an
easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
-s-

Old 02-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Adam Rosenwald

Sandor,

* Set "yum_post_install_mirror" to "1" in /var/lib/cobbler/settings.

* Create a directory somewhere for your repository.* Create a base
directory:

*** mkdir -p /my/repo/base

* Copy any and all custom or third-party RPMs to the base directory.

* Create the metadata for the repository ("yum install createrepo" if
you don't have the utility).* This may not be necessary, but this will
ensure that the metadata is available:

***

*** createrepo /my/repo # note that the target is not
the base directory

* Add the repo to cobbler.

*** cobbler repo add --mirror=/my/repo --name=name_of_your_repo

** Sync repositories:

*** cobbler reposync

* Add repos to your cobbler profiles/distros.

*** cobbler distro edit --name=my_distro --repos='name_of_your_repo
...'

*** cobbler profile edit --name=my_profile
--repos='name_of_your_repo...'

*** # Modify only the item that most closely meets your scope;
e.g. if all profiles under "my_distro" should include
'name_of_your_repo', you can ignore the '--repos' field whenever
creating profiles that exist under "my_distro".

* You are done.* Just cobbler sync and your systems' kickstart
files will include YUM repo stanzas provided by Cheetah template
expansions.

----

Note that adding RPMS to existing repositories may require re-running 'createrepo
/my/repo' and 'cobbler reposync' to be seen on your
deployed systems.* You will also need to execute 'yum clean all'
(or some variant of 'yum clean') on your client to force it to
redownload the repository metadata (which describe the new RPM set).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

-Adam.

-A.

et-mgmt-tools@redhat.com

Old 02-01-2008, 03:09 AM
"Sandor W. Sklar"

Your instructions were perfect! Thanks so much ... I really
appreciate the help!

-s-

Old 02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Michael DeHaan

Adam Rosenwald wrote:

Thanks for the help Adam.

A few quick comments:
-- you don't actually have to call createrepo yourself, cobbler will
do it for you.
-- we don't currently have the ability to assign a list of repos to
a distro, only a profile, however that might be a good idea for a future
addition.
-- there's a quick writeup on some of the repo management stuff
here: http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/cobbler-repos.php

--Michael

Old 02-01-2008, 11:13 PM
"Sandor W. Sklar"

-- you don't actually have to call createrepo yourself, cobbler will
do it for you.

OK, that is good to know.

-- we don't currently have the ability to assign a list of repos to
a distro, only a profile, however that might be a good idea for a
future addition.

-- there's a quick writeup on some of the repo management stuff
here: http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/cobbler-repos.php

Thanks, I did read through that page (honest!) My new question is, is
there any way around keeping two copies of each RPM? For example, I
created my repo "base" in /var/repo/tsm-client/base, and then ran
"cobbler repo add ..." and "cobbler reposync", which all worked
perfectly.

Now, I have ...

# find /var -name TIVsm-API64.i386.rpm
/var/repo/tsm-client/base/TIVsm-API64.i386.rpm
/var/www/cobbler/repo_mirror/tsm-client/base/TIVsm-API64.i386.rpm

... two copies of each of the RPMs. I'd love to be able to delete
the /var/repo/tsm-client directory, and if I have newer or changed
RPMs to go in that repository, to be able to just drop them into /var/
www/cobbler/repo_mirror/tsm-client/base/ and then run something like
"cobbler reposync" to have it automagically find the new files and do
the right thing.

Any chance that this is actually possible? Thanks, again ... I'm
still amazed at how quickly I was able to get this far!

-s-

Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Michael DeHaan

Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

-- you don't actually have to call createrepo yourself, cobbler will
do it for you.

OK, that is good to know.

-- we don't currently have the ability to assign a list of repos to a
distro, only a profile, however that might be a good idea for a
future addition.

-- there's a quick writeup on some of the repo management stuff here:
http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/cobbler-repos.php

Thanks, I did read through that page (honest!) My new question is, is
there any way around keeping two copies of each RPM? For example, I
created my repo "base" in /var/repo/tsm-client/base, and then ran
"cobbler repo add ..." and "cobbler reposync", which all worked
perfectly.

Cobbler currently doesn't have the code to represent a repo it is not
mirroring. There's an RFE filed on that though.

So you just want to throw stuff in /var/www/mystuff/reponame and run
creatrepo there manually, and then mention that in your kickstart
templates manually until that is in there.

--Michael