Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Michael DeHaan

Default Why doesn't my VM show up in virt-manager?

Lionel Kernux wrote:

Hi,

I'm running RHEL 5.1 and created a xen guest (RHEL4) manually by
detting everything up in a .hvm file. I have started and stopped thge
VM via xm create and it runs just fine.
I'm sure someone else could provide specifics on how to make it visible,
though I should point out that things created by things using the
virt-install library
(like virt-install (the CLI tool), koan (works with cobbler), and of
course virt-manager) show up automatically. If you can use those,
they are the easiest
way to go.

--Michael

Old 01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
"Lionel Kernux"

Hi,

I'm running RHEL 5.1 and created a xen guest (RHEL4) manually by
detting everything up in a .hvm file. I have started and stopped thge
VM via xm create and it runs just fine. What steps are needed to allow
it to be managed from the virt-manager gui? It doesn't show up in the
list in the gui. Only VM's created from within the gui seem to show. I
undersand that virt-manager uses xml files and a database to store VM
info. Is there soem way to "import" a .hvm file into virt-manager?

Any Help ??

Thanks

Miguel

Old 01-21-2008, 06:32 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 02:18:09PM -0500, Lionel Kernux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running RHEL 5.1 and created a xen guest (RHEL4) manually by
> detting everything up in a .hvm file. I have started and stopped thge
> VM via xm create and it runs just fine. What steps are needed to allow
> it to be managed from the virt-manager gui? It doesn't show up in the
> list in the gui. Only VM's created from within the gui seem to show. I
> undersand that virt-manager uses xml files and a database to store VM
> info. Is there soem way to "import" a .hvm file into virt-manager?

I've no idea what a '.hvm' file is. In RHEL-5, virt-manager provides access
to inactive guests defined in /etc/xen. The file names in that directory
are required to match the name of the guest - ie if your guest is called
'demo', the file must be /etc/xen/demo. Any other filename is unsupported.
Do not add file extensions. Do not add other non-guest config files in
that directory

Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston. +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=- Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ -=|

Old 01-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Mark Nielsen

Lionel Kernux wrote:

Hi,

I'm running RHEL 5.1 and created a xen guest (RHEL4) manually by
detting everything up in a .hvm file.

in addition to what Dan's response was, I would be concerned by your
manual editing. Did you change the "name" and (more importantly) "UUID"
lines? If you have the same UUID for 2 VMs, only 1 shows in
virt-manager. There is a useful command "virsh domuuid <name>" to get a
proper UUID.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:21 PM
"Lionel Kernux"

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I attempted to use the virt-manager gui to create a new guest. The
process created the img file the spun its wheels for the rest of the
night. I had to manually kill the virt-manager. I poked around and
found that virt-manager had finished creating the .img file but had
not created the /etc/xen/vigilance config file. So I then copied the
"/etc/xen/xmexample.hvm" that shipped with the xen rpm and modified it
to meet my needs and pointed it to the vigilance.img file that
virt-manager created. I set the boot parameter in the config to boot
from CD and used xm create /etc/xen/vigilance to start it up.
Everything went fine and I installed the guest OS and can run it fine
using xm.

Why can't virt-manager see it?
Thanks

Miguel