Old 11-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Tom Brown

Default Contents of ks.cfg gets overwritten

You'll probably want to put your kickstart file in /etc/cobbler

When you run cobbler sync, cobbler parses through your kickstart file
and takes any templating you've added and transforms it for use by
anaconda.

For example:
network --bootproto=static --ip=$ip_address --netmask=$netmask
--gateway=$gatewa

y --nameserver=$nameserver --hostname=$hostname --device=eth0 --onboot=on

$ip_address, $netmask, etc. are all variables that cobbler will
replace with actual values (that's I've provided when I did a "cobbler
system add..."

Once cobbler has done this it takes the resulting kickstart file and
drops it in the directories /var/www/cobbler/kickstarts or
/var/www/cobbler/kickstarts_sys

This way if you change the template kickstart (e.g.
/etc/cobbler/rhel-5-webservers.ks) to add something new then you can
just run "cobbler sync".

If you had 5 systems setup to use a profile with that kickstart file
all 5 would be updated automagically, instead of having to deal with
each.

Can anyone help me with adding these variables to the system add command as

# cobbler system add --name=00:0C:29:717:4D --profile=CentOS-4.5-i386
HOSTNAME=test IPADDR=192.168.10.23

this command doesn't take an option called 'HOSTNAME'

and this is the section from my kickstart.ks

network --bootproto=static --device=eth0 --onboot=on --ip=$IPADDR
--netmask 255.255.255.0 --gateway 192.168.10.1 --nameserver 192.168.10.4
--hostname=$HOSTNAME

thanks for all the help so far