Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Michael Harrison

Default vnc option

I'd like to be able to watch the installation display during the
initial configuring / testing / debugging cycle of kickstarts and
templates and whatnot. What is the recommended way of configuring vnc
for this purpose?

/var/lib/cobbler/settings has a kernel_options stanza which seems the
logical place for it. Is the 'text' variable meant for arbitrary stuff
to be passed to the kernel, so vnc options could be added there?

Thanks,
-Mike

Old 01-12-2008, 08:12 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 11:43:06AM -0800, Michael Harrison wrote:
> I'd like to be able to watch the installation display during the
> initial configuring / testing / debugging cycle of kickstarts and
> templates and whatnot. What is the recommended way of configuring vnc
> for this purpose?
>
> /var/lib/cobbler/settings has a kernel_options stanza which seems the
> logical place for it. Is the 'text' variable meant for arbitrary stuff
> to be passed to the kernel, so vnc options could be added there?

You don't really want to use the guest OS installer's VNC options. All
KVM or Xen guests have ability to setup a graphical display an expose
that securely as a VNC server. So whether the guest is Linux, or Windows
or something else you can access it via VNC. A regular VNC viewer is
one option, but if you want secure access use simple 'virt-viewer' app
or the full blown 'virt-manager' app. I can't remember what the Cobbler
option for turning on VNC is, but I'm sure someone will point it out if
its not in the man page...

Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston. +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=- Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ -=|

Old 01-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Michael Harrison

I probably should have made it clear that I have in mind regular
installs, not virtual machines.

Thanks!
-Mike

Old 01-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Michael DeHaan

Michael Harrison wrote:

I probably should have made it clear that I have in mind regular
installs, not virtual machines.

Some VNC options are listed here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options