Old 01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

Default Bogus heuristics in virt-manager

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 04:24:32PM +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 03:16:42PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > > This is because virt-manager's code is full of (os.getuid() == 0)
> > > checks, which in my case are completely wrong.
> > Yep, these checks are all targetted for removal. Basically they fall
> > into a couple of categories:
> >
> > - Checking OS state /proc/xen, /sysfs /dev/kvm to see what HV
> > capabilities/properties you can use. These are targetted to
> > replacement with the virConnectGetCapabilities() APIs
> >
> > - Creating/managing storage. These are targetted for replacement
> > with the forthcoming storage management APIs
> >
> > - Enumerating network devices. TBD.
>

> Sounds fantastic. Is this in mercurial somewhere?

All the virt tools are here:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/

The storage API stuff is in a patch queue on my laptop, which I'll be
posting to libvir-list today/tomorrow for another round of review.

> Is there a roadmap for the various tools anywhere?

There's a (unfortunately out of date) roadmap for virt-manager here

http://virt-manager.org/roadmap.html

Feel free to start a Wiki page with more up2date ideas / suggestions - a
Wiki is more suited to a roadmap than our current static html page. The
wiki is here:

http://virt-manager.org/page/Main_Page

Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston. +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=- Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ -=|