Old 01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

Default Bogus heuristics in virt-manager

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 04:11:31PM +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've run into a very annoying issue in virt-manager.
>
> I primarily use libvirt to manage kvm sessions at qemu:///system. I do
> this as my regular user on my system (I have write access to the
> appropriate libvirtd socket). If I hand craft the XML describing my
> virtual machine, I can connect to virtual networks, bridge onto the
> existing LAN, etc. I can also set up new virtual networks and basically
> anything else that root can do. However, virt-manager still treats me as
> a lowly user with no particular privileges. This is because
> virt-manager's code is full of (os.getuid() == 0) checks, which in my
> case are completely wrong.

Yep, these checks are all targetted for removal. Basically they fall
into a couple of categories:

- Checking OS state /proc/xen, /sysfs /dev/kvm to see what HV
capabilities/properties you can use. These are targetted to
replacement with the virConnectGetCapabilities() APIs

- Creating/managing storage. These are targetted for replacement
with the forthcoming storage management APIs

- Enumerating network devices. TBD.

I've been doing some preparatory work in virtinst, to get ready for the
first point in virt-manager. The storage stuff is active work in progress
too. Once these are addressed there should be no use of anything in the
python 'os.' module, and thus no getuid() checks anywhere.

Regards,
Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston. +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=- Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ -=|

Old 01-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Soren Hansen

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 03:16:42PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > This is because virt-manager's code is full of (os.getuid() == 0)
> > checks, which in my case are completely wrong.
> Yep, these checks are all targetted for removal. Basically they fall
> into a couple of categories:
>
> - Checking OS state /proc/xen, /sysfs /dev/kvm to see what HV
> capabilities/properties you can use. These are targetted to
> replacement with the virConnectGetCapabilities() APIs
>
> - Creating/managing storage. These are targetted for replacement
> with the forthcoming storage management APIs
>
> - Enumerating network devices. TBD.

Sounds fantastic. Is this in mercurial somewhere?

Is there a roadmap for the various tools anywhere?

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team