Old 01-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Michael Harrison

Default new install with existing repos

Hi,

What's the high-level configuration overview for the case in which
repos exist, and there is no need to replicate them on the cobbler
server?

I haven't figured out how to tell cobbler "the repo is at this ftp or
http server/path".

I tried cobbler import --available-as, but that complained about
missing a --path argument. There is no path, the distro is on the ftp
server.

A different angle on the same question, I expect cobbler to need what
argument to give the url argument in the kickstart file, which is the
ftp/http/nfs path I tried passing as the --available-as argument. It
shouldn't need to have a repo local on the cobbler system.

Thanks,
-Mike

Old 01-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Michael DeHaan

Michael Harrison wrote:

Hi,

What's the high-level configuration overview for the case in which
repos exist, and there is no need to replicate them on the cobbler
server?

Add them to your kickstart file as normal in that case.

There is an RFE for being able to represent external repos in the
cobbler configuration
for easy management (in fact, I think I filed it) but nothing is
implemented quite yet.

I haven't figured out how to tell cobbler "the repo is at this ftp or
http server/path".

cobbler repo add --name=foo --path=http://blah is how this is done for
repositories that you

want to mirror.

For repositories that you do not want to mirror, you can just add them
into your kickstart file/template

manually.

I tried cobbler import --available-as, but that complained about
missing a --path argument. There is no path, the distro is on the ftp
server.

Cobbler import does require a filesystem path, --available-as was
created for doing imports of distribution trees that
are also available on external filers, so trees can be scanned over NFS
and not duplicated.

(Do not confuse install trees with yum repositories.)

A different angle on the same question, I expect cobbler to need what
argument to give the url argument in the kickstart file, which is the
ftp/http/nfs path I tried passing as the --available-as argument.

Yes, import sets the url parameter automagically. If you do an import
(a DVD import
may be easier for starters, if you are having trouble figuring out what
--available as is, it's a niche
case, as I've said, for external filers) and then cat
/var/lib/cobbler/distros, you'll see that there is a metadata
variable set for "tree" and a matching "$tree" in the kickstart template
where this is filled in.

See here:

http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/cobbler-import.php

It
shouldn't need to have a repo local on the cobbler system.

Correct.

Thanks,
-Mike

Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Michael Harrison

Okay, I've decided not to configure cobbler on my working pxe server
and put it on new hardware instead. I'll configure it they way it was
intended, adding distros locally, and exploring what it does.

Thank you for the great help!
-Mike