Old 01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Michael Harrison

Default new cobbler install

Hi,

I've just added cobbler to an existing, working pxe server with the
expectation that it will handle the ks, dhcp, and tftp configuration
with one interface. Am I on the right track understanding what cobbler
does ?

This pxe server has dhcp / tftp / ks files, as I mentioned. The distro
bits come from another server via ftp and http, so distros are not kept
on the pxe server.

A "cobbler check" comes back with the following:

reposync is not installed, need for cobbler reposync, install/upgrade
yum-utils?

yumdownloader is not installed, needed for cobbler repo add with
--rpm-list parameter, install/upgrade yum-utils?

In my setup, as described above, do I need to install reposync and
yumdownloader ? By name they seem to be useful only if I served the
distros from the pxe / cobbler server.

Cheers.
-Mike

Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Michael DeHaan

Michael Harrison wrote:

Hi,

I've just added cobbler to an existing, working pxe server with the
expectation that it will handle the ks, dhcp, and tftp configuration
with one interface. Am I on the right track understanding what cobbler
does ?

Yes.

This pxe server has dhcp / tftp / ks files, as I mentioned. The distro
bits come from another server via ftp and http, so distros are not kept
on the pxe server.

A "cobbler check" comes back with the following:

reposync is not installed, need for cobbler reposync, install/upgrade
yum-utils?

yumdownloader is not installed, needed for cobbler repo add with
--rpm-list parameter, install/upgrade yum-utils?

In my setup, as described above, do I need to install reposync and
yumdownloader ? By name they seem to be useful only if I served the
distros from the pxe / cobbler server.

Createrepo should be installed if you want to use "cobbler repo add" or
"cobbler import".

See also: http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/cobbler-repos.php

Cheers.
-Mike

Old 01-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Michael Harrison

Michael, thank you for the quick help.

So "cobbler repo add" is for the case where the repo is on the cobbler
server. But don't I need to "cobbler import
--available-as=ftp://server:/path ?

Thanks,
-Mike

Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Michael DeHaan

Michael Harrison wrote:

Michael, thank you for the quick help.

So "cobbler repo add" is for the case where the repo is on the cobbler
server. But don't I need to "cobbler import
--available-as=ftp://server:/path ?

Thanks,
-Mike

Not in this case, actually.

Import does use createrepo when using rsync, because the
/etc/cobbler/rsync.excludes file may remove some packages that are
deemed unneccessary -- so we run createrepo
to repair what we have rebuilt as well as to make packages in the
install tree (that are not yet in an upgrades repo) also available as a
yum repository.

It probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and install it in case you might
want it later. If using EL4, this package should be available in EPEL
or EPEL testing.

Michael Harrison wrote:

[...]

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.