Old 11-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Tom Brown

Default [et-mgmt-tools] Contents of ks.cfg gets overwritten

Hi

Well i get further and then take 2 steps back and i am sure you are
getting tired of me but 1 more if i may

I put the contents of my ks.cfg in for example

/var/www/cobbler/kickstarts/CentOS-4.4-i386/ks.cfg

now i can add this profile and set a system against this and do a
cobbler sync and all seems fine.

When the build starts anaconda may bomb on something and then when i
check /var/www/cobbler/kickstarts/CentOS-4.4-i386/ks.cfg again the
changes i made have been removed and the changes lost.

Can anyone point me to docs that explain this behaviour please as i have
searched and cant see where to start.

thanks

Old 11-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Harry Hoffman

Hi Tom,

You'll probably want to put your kickstart file in /etc/cobbler

When you run cobbler sync, cobbler parses through your kickstart file
and takes any templating you've added and transforms it for use by anaconda.

For example:
network --bootproto=static --ip=$ip_address --netmask=$netmask
--gateway=$gatewa

y --nameserver=$nameserver --hostname=$hostname --device=eth0 --onboot=on

$ip_address, $netmask, etc. are all variables that cobbler will replace
with actual values (that's I've provided when I did a "cobbler system
add..."

Once cobbler has done this it takes the resulting kickstart file and
drops it in the directories /var/www/cobbler/kickstarts or
/var/www/cobbler/kickstarts_sys

This way if you change the template kickstart (e.g.
/etc/cobbler/rhel-5-webservers.ks) to add something new then you can
just run "cobbler sync".

If you had 5 systems setup to use a profile with that kickstart file all
5 would be updated automagically, instead of having to deal with each.

HTH,
Harry

Old 11-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Tom Brown

[...]

thanks Harry - that seems to be helping, at least things are not over
written now!!

Do you know if its possible to add a driver disk as in similar to doing
a text dd on the command line as i need to load some driver from a
floppy image.

thanks!

Old 11-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Tom Brown

[...]

OK thanks all - i have FINALLY got a box installed using cobbler and
also rebuilt using koan - Now to fine tune things but so far its excellent.

I just wished i could now get the webgui running, i cant get in due to
an xmlrpc error but maybe i'll leave that for another day.

thanks