Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

Default FYI: virt-manager re-instate new & delete buttons

After the mild disaster of including the new & delete buttons inline in the
list of VMs / connections, I've reverted the UI back to the old style with
new & delete buttons at the bottom of the window. Anyone interested in
checking this out the changes are now in the virt-manager HG repo and I
will do an update release this week with them in...

Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston. +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=- Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ -=|

Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
"Hugh O. Brock"

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:57:01PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> After the mild disaster of including the new & delete buttons inline in the
> list of VMs / connections, I've reverted the UI back to the old style with
> new & delete buttons at the bottom of the window. Anyone interested in
> checking this out the changes are now in the virt-manager HG repo and I
> will do an update release this week with them in...
>
> Dan.

I know Cole Robinson was working on changing the in-line buttons to
make them more usable (that is, actually get buttons to show up
in-line rather than the less-than-obvious icons); did you check with
him at all before committing this?

--H

Old 01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Cole Robinson

Hugh O. Brock wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:57:01PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> After the mild disaster of including the new & delete buttons inline in the
>> list of VMs / connections, I've reverted the UI back to the old style with
>> new & delete buttons at the bottom of the window. Anyone interested in
>> checking this out the changes are now in the virt-manager HG repo and I
>> will do an update release this week with them in...
>>
>> Dan.
>
> I know Cole Robinson was working on changing the in-line buttons to
> make them more usable (that is, actually get buttons to show up
> in-line rather than the less-than-obvious icons); did you check with
> him at all before committing this?
>
> --H

I investigated this but haven't made any changes yet, so I don't have anything
ready. I can start working on it if salvaging the inline buttons is the way we
want to go.

Also before we do a release we should make sure the restore button is hooked
up I hadn't touched it since I thought we were waiting for the storage api
to land before we pushed a new release.

- Cole

Old 01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 10:58:39AM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Hugh O. Brock wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:57:01PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >> After the mild disaster of including the new & delete buttons inline in the
> >> list of VMs / connections, I've reverted the UI back to the old style with
> >> new & delete buttons at the bottom of the window. Anyone interested in
> >> checking this out the changes are now in the virt-manager HG repo and I
> >> will do an update release this week with them in...
> >>
> >> Dan.
> >
> > I know Cole Robinson was working on changing the in-line buttons to
> > make them more usable (that is, actually get buttons to show up
> > in-line rather than the less-than-obvious icons); did you check with
> > him at all before committing this?

> I investigated this but haven't made any changes yet, so I don't have anything
> ready. I can start working on it if salvaging the inline buttons is the way we
> want to go.

I don't think we should worry about inline buttons - if we have full button
themeing inline I think it'll look rather ugly. Surprisingly to me, hooking
up the buttons along the bottom worked fairly well and simplified the code
too.

> Also before we do a release we should make sure the restore button is hooked
> up I hadn't touched it since I thought we were waiting for the storage api
> to land before we pushed a new release.

No, we shouldn't wait for the storage API. We should fix the save/restore
menus so that they work for local HV connections, and simply inform the
user that its not supported for remote connections yet. When we get the
storage API done, we can then hook up save/restore for remote too.

Regards,
Dan.