Old 03-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Dominik Klein

Default Some (probably) beginner questions

Hi

I am trying to setup libvirt, virt-manager and xen.

I successfully installed xen 3.3.1 and am able to run machines with "xm".
libvirt is 0.6.1
virt-manager was pulled 30 minutes ago from the repo
same for virtinst

libvirt is installed, libvirtd is running. I can also start virt-manager
and have it connect to xen.

Now I want to define a new machine with virt-manager and face a couple
of problems.

* I can only select full vs. paravirtualization at the end of the
installation dialog and (I think) therefore not select a .iso file as
installation source. The installation source has to be chosen in the
very first dialog and I can only select "network install" there.

* When I try to create a new machine (pv with a network installation
source), I get the following error message:

------------
Unable to complete install '<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> POST
operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon: (xend.err "Error
creating domain: (1, 'Internal error', 'Could not open kernel image (2 =
No such file or directory)')")
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1485, in
do_install
dom = guest.start_install(False, meter = meter)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 541,
in start_install
return self._do_install(consolecb, meter, removeOld, wait)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 633,
in _do_install
self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 973, in
createLinux
if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
conn=self)
libvirtError: POST operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon:
(xend.err "Error creating domain: (1, 'Internal error', 'Could not open
kernel image (2 = No such file or directory)')")
------------

If you need more information about the system, please let me know - I'll
provide them asap.

Regards
Dominik

Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Cole Robinson

Dominik Klein wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to setup libvirt, virt-manager and xen.
>
> I successfully installed xen 3.3.1 and am able to run machines with "xm".
> libvirt is 0.6.1
> virt-manager was pulled 30 minutes ago from the repo
> same for virtinst
>
> libvirt is installed, libvirtd is running. I can also start virt-manager
> and have it connect to xen.
>
> Now I want to define a new machine with virt-manager and face a couple
> of problems.
>
> * I can only select full vs. paravirtualization at the end of the
> installation dialog and (I think) therefore not select a .iso file as
> installation source. The installation source has to be chosen in the
> very first dialog and I can only select "network install" there.

Hmm, if the connection supports FV and PV, all install options should be
enabled. At the end of the wizard, is 'xen (fullvirt)' and option listed
in the 'Virt Type' drop down? Can you provide 'virsh --connect xen:///
capabilities' output

> * When I try to create a new machine (pv with a network installation
> source), I get the following error message:
>
> ------------
> Unable to complete install '<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> POST
> operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon: (xend.err "Error
> creating domain: (1, 'Internal error', 'Could not open kernel image (2 =
> No such file or directory)')")
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1485, in
> do_install
> dom = guest.start_install(False, meter = meter)
> File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 541,
> in start_install
> return self._do_install(consolecb, meter, removeOld, wait)
> File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 633,
> in _do_install
> self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 973, in
> createLinux
> if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
> conn=self)
> libvirtError: POST operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon:
> (xend.err "Error creating domain: (1, 'Internal error', 'Could not open
> kernel image (2 = No such file or directory)')")
> ------------

Hmm, not entirely sure what the problem could be here.
~/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log could help.

Thanks for the report!
- Cole

Old 03-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Cole Robinson

Cole Robinson wrote:
> Dominik Klein wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am trying to setup libvirt, virt-manager and xen.
>>
>> I successfully installed xen 3.3.1 and am able to run machines with "xm".
>> libvirt is 0.6.1
>> virt-manager was pulled 30 minutes ago from the repo
>> same for virtinst
>>
>> libvirt is installed, libvirtd is running. I can also start virt-manager
>> and have it connect to xen.
>>
>> Now I want to define a new machine with virt-manager and face a couple
>> of problems.
>>
>> * I can only select full vs. paravirtualization at the end of the
>> installation dialog and (I think) therefore not select a .iso file as
>> installation source. The installation source has to be chosen in the
>> very first dialog and I can only select "network install" there.
>>

> Hmm, if the connection supports FV and PV, all install options should be
> enabled. At the end of the wizard, is 'xen (fullvirt)' and option listed
> in the 'Virt Type' drop down? Can you provide 'virsh --connect xen:///
> capabilities' output

We followed up offline, and found this was a virt-manager bug, fixed here:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-virt.cgi/applications/virt-manager--devel/rev/6374136c6247

- Cole