Old 03-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Cole Robinson

Default virt-manager: 'Add Physical Host Device' wizard

Hi all,

The attached patch adds an option in the 'Add Hardware' wizard to attach
a physical host device to a VM. Current explicitly supported options are
USB, PCI, and Wired NICs (which really just attaches the parent PCI
device, but this way provides a nicer interface).

Some screenshots:

http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev1.png
http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev2.png
http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev3.png

It's all pretty straightforward: most of the work is done at the
virtinst level to pull the useful info out of the nodedev xml.

Questions or comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Cole

Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 07:34:46PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The attached patch adds an option in the 'Add Hardware' wizard to attach
> a physical host device to a VM. Current explicitly supported options are
> USB, PCI, and Wired NICs (which really just attaches the parent PCI
> device, but this way provides a nicer interface).
>
> Some screenshots:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev1.png
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev2.png
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev3.png
>
> It's all pretty straightforward: most of the work is done at the
> virtinst level to pull the useful info out of the nodedev xml.

I'm not sure I like having 'Wired NICs' as a separate option. How about
listing the logic device type against each PCI / USB devices.

eg, in the drop down for PCI devices, alongside the POCI device
description, also include the nameof the logical device (eth1)
associated with it. This lets you see that assigning PCI device
'X.y.z' means the host will no longer be able to use the device
'eth1'. I think it would help people to avoid shooting themselvs
in the foot when choosing a PCI/USB device

Regards,
Daniel

Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Cole Robinson

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 07:34:46PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The attached patch adds an option in the 'Add Hardware' wizard to attach
>> a physical host device to a VM. Current explicitly supported options are
>> USB, PCI, and Wired NICs (which really just attaches the parent PCI
>> device, but this way provides a nicer interface).
>>
>> Some screenshots:
>>
>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev1.png
>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev2.png
>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev3.png
>>
>> It's all pretty straightforward: most of the work is done at the
>> virtinst level to pull the useful info out of the nodedev xml.
>
> I'm not sure I like having 'Wired NICs' as a separate option. How about
> listing the logic device type against each PCI / USB devices.
>
> eg, in the drop down for PCI devices, alongside the POCI device
> description, also include the nameof the logical device (eth1)
> associated with it. This lets you see that assigning PCI device
> 'X.y.z' means the host will no longer be able to use the device
> 'eth1'. I think it would help people to avoid shooting themselvs
> in the foot when choosing a PCI/USB device

Sounds good, updated patch attached. Attaching a network card now looks
like:

http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev4.png

Thanks,
Cole

Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Cole Robinson

Cole Robinson wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 07:34:46PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> The attached patch adds an option in the 'Add Hardware' wizard to attach
>>> a physical host device to a VM. Current explicitly supported options are
>>> USB, PCI, and Wired NICs (which really just attaches the parent PCI
>>> device, but this way provides a nicer interface).
>>>
>>> Some screenshots:
>>>
>>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev1.png
>>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev2.png
>>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev3.png
>>>
>>> It's all pretty straightforward: most of the work is done at the
>>> virtinst level to pull the useful info out of the nodedev xml.
>> I'm not sure I like having 'Wired NICs' as a separate option. How about
>> listing the logic device type against each PCI / USB devices.
>>
>> eg, in the drop down for PCI devices, alongside the POCI device
>> description, also include the nameof the logical device (eth1)
>> associated with it. This lets you see that assigning PCI device
>> 'X.y.z' means the host will no longer be able to use the device
>> 'eth1'. I think it would help people to avoid shooting themselvs
>> in the foot when choosing a PCI/USB device
>>

> Sounds good, updated patch attached. Attaching a network card now looks
> like:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-add-hostdev4.png

I've applied this version.

Thanks,