-   -   Add libvirt storage browser (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/259301-add-libvirt-storage-browser.html)

Cole Robinson 03-08-2009 08:10 PM

Add libvirt storage browser

The attached patch adds a libvirt-storage-aware browser, to replace the
standard file chooser when adding storage on remote connections.
Screenshot here:

http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-storage-browse.png

(Greyed out pools are inactive.)

In the near future, this will be enabled for local connections as well,
which will allow provisioning more complex storage on demand, as well as
encourage all storage to go through the libvirt APIs (while still
allowing the use of unmanaged storage through the 'Browse local' option,
or manually entering a path). Before we turn it on in the local case
though, default pool setup needs to be more configurable and robust.

Questions or comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Cole

"Daniel P. Berrange" 03-09-2009 09:55 AM

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 05:10:18PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> The attached patch adds a libvirt-storage-aware browser, to replace the
> standard file chooser when adding storage on remote connections.
> Screenshot here:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-storage-browse.png
>
> (Greyed out pools are inactive.)
>
> In the near future, this will be enabled for local connections as well,
> which will allow provisioning more complex storage on demand, as well as
> encourage all storage to go through the libvirt APIs (while still
> allowing the use of unmanaged storage through the 'Browse local' option,
> or manually entering a path). Before we turn it on in the local case
> though, default pool setup needs to be more configurable and robust.

Personally I'd turn it on for both local & remote usage right away. With
real users trying it out all the time, it'll quickly get debugged & more
robust. I think having & documenting 2 different ways of doing storage
will cause more trouble that you'll save.

The dialog looks good btw - glad we're finally able todo this now.

Daniel

Cole Robinson 03-09-2009 02:36 PM

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 05:10:18PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> The attached patch adds a libvirt-storage-aware browser, to replace the
>> standard file chooser when adding storage on remote connections.
>> Screenshot here:
>>
>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-storage-browse.png
>>
>> (Greyed out pools are inactive.)
>>
>> In the near future, this will be enabled for local connections as well,
>> which will allow provisioning more complex storage on demand, as well as
>> encourage all storage to go through the libvirt APIs (while still
>> allowing the use of unmanaged storage through the 'Browse local' option,
>> or manually entering a path). Before we turn it on in the local case
>> though, default pool setup needs to be more configurable and robust.
>
> Personally I'd turn it on for both local & remote usage right away. With
> real users trying it out all the time, it'll quickly get debugged & more
> robust. I think having & documenting 2 different ways of doing storage
> will cause more trouble that you'll save.

Yeah, I'm unsure on the whole thing, but I'm leaning in your direction
now. The situation with file browsing is just as confusing if running as
nonroot at the moment, and the storage dialog will enable better
functionality. The big issue is that this is new UI and there are no
docs to point at when users have questions. More work for me I suppose :)

I'll enable this for storage provisioning with the new release, not
local install media though (since we really don't have anything storage
pool related hooked up cleanly for this case).

Thanks,
Cole

Cole Robinson 03-09-2009 07:31 PM

Cole Robinson wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 05:10:18PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>>> The attached patch adds a libvirt-storage-aware browser, to replace the
>>> standard file chooser when adding storage on remote connections.
>>> Screenshot here:
>>>
>>> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/vmm-storage-browse.png
>>>
>>> (Greyed out pools are inactive.)
>>>
>>> In the near future, this will be enabled for local connections as well,
>>> which will allow provisioning more complex storage on demand, as well as
>>> encourage all storage to go through the libvirt APIs (while still
>>> allowing the use of unmanaged storage through the 'Browse local' option,
>>> or manually entering a path). Before we turn it on in the local case
>>> though, default pool setup needs to be more configurable and robust.
>> Personally I'd turn it on for both local & remote usage right away. With
>> real users trying it out all the time, it'll quickly get debugged & more
>> robust. I think having & documenting 2 different ways of doing storage
>> will cause more trouble that you'll save.
>>

> Yeah, I'm unsure on the whole thing, but I'm leaning in your direction
> now. The situation with file browsing is just as confusing if running as
> nonroot at the moment, and the storage dialog will enable better
> functionality. The big issue is that this is new UI and there are no
> docs to point at when users have questions. More work for me I suppose :)
>
> I'll enable this for storage provisioning with the new release, not
> local install media though (since we really don't have anything storage
> pool related hooked up cleanly for this case).

Applied now, with the above defaults change.

Thanks,
Cole