-   -   virt-manager: Storage aware delete dialog (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/258233-virt-manager-storage-aware-delete-dialog.html)

Cole Robinson 03-06-2009 02:27 PM

virt-manager: Storage aware delete dialog

Hi all,

The attached patch adds a storage aware delete dialog to virt-manager.
When deleting a VM, we are presented with a list of storage attached to
it, with an option to remove individual disks as part of the delete process.

Some screenshots:

http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/delete/vmm-delete-2.1.png

The dialog's look when it is launched (we make the user opt in to delete
storage).

http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/delete/vmm-delete-2.2.png

Even when the user opts in, we don't select all disks for deletion by
default. We won't select a disk by default if:

It is marked as read-only in the xml
It is marked as shareable in the xml
It is in use by another VM on the same connection

A tooltip to this effect is shown when hovering over the warning icon.

http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/delete/vmm-delete-2.4.png

If we think we can't delete certain storage, the check box is marked as
inconsistent. There are multiple reasons we can't delete (no
permissions, storage is an iSCSI volume, storage isn't managed and we
are on a remote connection, etc.) The reasoning is also shown in a tooltip.

If any storage deletion fails, we continue with the process, and just
show all aggregated errors to the user at the end. The VM removal will
be attempted regardless.

That's about it. Questions or comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Cole

Cole Robinson 03-09-2009 07:26 PM

Cole Robinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The attached patch adds a storage aware delete dialog to virt-manager.
> When deleting a VM, we are presented with a list of storage attached to
> it, with an option to remove individual disks as part of the delete process.
>
> Some screenshots:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/delete/vmm-delete-2.1.png
>
> The dialog's look when it is launched (we make the user opt in to delete
> storage).
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/delete/vmm-delete-2.2.png
>
> Even when the user opts in, we don't select all disks for deletion by
> default. We won't select a disk by default if:
>
> It is marked as read-only in the xml
> It is marked as shareable in the xml
> It is in use by another VM on the same connection
>
> A tooltip to this effect is shown when hovering over the warning icon.
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~crobinso/virt-manager/delete/vmm-delete-2.4.png
>
> If we think we can't delete certain storage, the check box is marked as
> inconsistent. There are multiple reasons we can't delete (no
> permissions, storage is an iSCSI volume, storage isn't managed and we
> are on a remote connection, etc.) The reasoning is also shown in a tooltip.
>
> If any storage deletion fails, we continue with the process, and just
> show all aggregated errors to the user at the end. The VM removal will
> be attempted regardless.

This has been pushed now.

Thanks,
Cole