Old 02-26-2009, 08:44 AM

Default Configuration of the virt-manager

Hello,

I'm looking now already since days after the configuration of
virt-manager on Debian, but found nothing on the internet or any literature.
I now have a machine on Debian/Lenny with KVM and wants use here virtual
machines on logical volumes. With virt-manager should indeed be a breeze, but
it is not, because the configuration of virt-manager is still opaque to me.

If I have virt-manager and the traces on the workstation installed the program
I want to start now, I get the messages

Unable to open connection to hypervisor URI 'qemu+ssh://192.168.0.3/system':
<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> Die Verbindung wurde vom Kommunikationspartner
zurückgesetzt
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 486, in
_open_thread
None], flags)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 99, in openAuth
if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
libvirtError: Die Verbindung wurde vom Kommunikationspartner zurückgesetzt

I assume that the /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf on the workstation and
possibly on the KVM-server must be configured accordingly.
But now I don't know how. Also tell me the URI syntax not so much.
Is what I intend "qemu + ssh: / /" the right thing? Have I "/ system" on
192.168.0.3 to establish or it is a directory or it is a service?

So I would have a little more explanatory information very grateful, as
what man virt-manager or info virt-manager offer. And the Internet
unfortunately, also provides not so much.

Many thanks

Andreas

Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Cole Robinson

lugs@linuxmaker.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking now already since days after the configuration of
> virt-manager on Debian, but found nothing on the internet or any literature.
> I now have a machine on Debian/Lenny with KVM and wants use here virtual
> machines on logical volumes. With virt-manager should indeed be a breeze, but
> it is not, because the configuration of virt-manager is still opaque to me.
>
> If I have virt-manager and the traces on the workstation installed the program
> I want to start now, I get the messages
>
> Unable to open connection to hypervisor URI 'qemu+ssh://192.168.0.3/system':
> <class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> Die Verbindung wurde vom Kommunikationspartner
> zurückgesetzt
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 486, in
> _open_thread
> None], flags)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 99, in openAuth
> if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
> libvirtError: Die Verbindung wurde vom Kommunikationspartner zurückgesetzt
>
> I assume that the /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf on the workstation and
> possibly on the KVM-server must be configured accordingly.
> But now I don't know how. Also tell me the URI syntax not so much.
> Is what I intend "qemu + ssh: / /" the right thing? Have I "/ system" on
> 192.168.0.3 to establish or it is a directory or it is a service?

For ssh access, you shouldn't need any changes to libvirtd.conf. The URI
syntax looks correct as well.

An easier way to test it all is to use virsh. So, try

virsh --connect qemu+ssh://192.168.0.3/system (or)
virsh --connect qemu+ssh://root@192.168.0.3/system

And see if that also gives errors.

Thanks,
Cole

Old 03-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Guido Günther

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:44:12AM +0100, lugs@linuxmaker.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking now already since days after the configuration of
> virt-manager on Debian, but found nothing on the internet or any literature.
> I now have a machine on Debian/Lenny with KVM and wants use here virtual
> machines on logical volumes. With virt-manager should indeed be a breeze, but
> it is not, because the configuration of virt-manager is still opaque to me.
>
> If I have virt-manager and the traces on the workstation installed the program
> I want to start now, I get the messages
>
> Unable to open connection to hypervisor URI 'qemu+ssh://192.168.0.3/system':
> <class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> Die Verbindung wurde vom Kommunikationspartner
> zurückgesetzt
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 486, in
> _open_thread
> None], flags)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 99, in openAuth
> if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
> libvirtError: Die Verbindung wurde vom Kommunikationspartner zurückgesetzt
Did you setup ssh-keys to be able to login into the machine without
prompting?
-- Guido