Old 02-26-2009, 03:03 AM
Cole Robinson

Default Support for kvm/qemu cache mode

Ben Kochie wrote:

> Libvirt now supports an xml bit to select qemu cache types.
>
> <disk type='block' device='disk'>
> <driver name='qemu' cache='writethrough'/>
> <source dev='/path/to/dev'/>
> <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
> </disk>
>
> It would be nice to select this with -disk in virt-install.

Cool! Sounds good.

> started looking at the VirtualDisk.py source to see where something like
> that would go. If anyone is working on this, or has ideas, please let
> me know.

Following existing convention should be sufficient. Add cache as a
VirtualDisk __init__ parameter, setup a simple set_*/get_* property, and
if it's present, encorporate it the xml in get_config_xml.

You could also add some validation tests in tests/validation.py.

> I was thinking the virt-install command would look like:
>
> virt-install -disk "path=/path/to/dev,cache=writethrough"

Looks good to me. Please be sure to include documentation in
man/en/virt-install.pod (don't worry about actually generating the man
page).

Thanks,
Cole

Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Ben Kochie

Ok, thanks for all the off-list help.

Here's my patch for adding cache support to virt-install. I'm not super
happy with the xml if/elif bits at VitualDisk.py:681, but that part of the
code is a bit tricky anyway.

http://ben.nerp.net/virtinst/cache-support-v4.diff

There are some other logs and output examples in the dir:

http://ben.nerp.net/virtinst/

It would be great to get this in for the next release.

- -ben

"UNIX is user-friendly, it's just picky about its friends."