-   -   How to get the IP address of Virtual Machines (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-linux-management-tools/244489-how-get-ip-address-virtual-machines.html)

"Mackell, Thomas O" 02-12-2009 04:24 PM

How to get the IP address of Virtual Machines

We have several virtual guests running. Is there a way to
get the guests virtual machines ip addresses ?

We build the virtual machine using virt-install. *We
are using DHCP for the temporary ip addresses.

After the machines is built, *we currently use the
virt-manager to open a console, do an ifconfig eth0 to get the machines ip
address, is there an easier way to do this. Hopefully from the Dom 0 logon
session.

Currently running RHEL 5.3 os, the virtual machines are
various version of Redhat and Fedora, Centos etc.

*

Thanks in Advance,

Thomas Mackell

IM OSS UNIX/VMS Server Design & Support

Cole Robinson 02-12-2009 06:00 PM

Mackell, Thomas O wrote:
> We have several virtual guests running. Is there a way to get the guests virtual machines ip addresses ?
> We build the virtual machine using virt-install. We are using DHCP for the temporary ip addresses.
> After the machines is built, we currently use the virt-manager to open a console, do an ifconfig eth0 to get the machines ip address, is there an easier way to do this. Hopefully from the Dom 0 logon session.
> Currently running RHEL 5.3 os, the virtual machines are various version of Redhat and Fedora, Centos etc.

You can try checking out the virt-mem suite:

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-mem/

There's a tool 'virt-ifconfig' that can be run on the host, and can show
a VM's net config. This stuff doesn't come in RHEL, so you'll have to
build it yourself.

- Cole