Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Cole Robinson

Default Virt-manager and qemu logging

Radek Hladik wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using virt-manager+libvirt+kvmqemu and I noticed today that when
> virt-manager is running and polling VMs stats libvirt log in
> /var/log/libivrt/qemu/vmname is filling with messages like
>
> info blockstats
> ide0-hd0: rd_bytes=16710828032 <http://www.snapanumber.com/>
> wr_bytes=2248787148 <http://www.snapanumber.com/>8 rd_operations=382576
> wr_oper
> ations=1579878
> ide1-cd0: rd_bytes=936448 wr_bytes=0 rd_operations=456 wr_operations=0
> floppy0: rd_bytes=0 wr_bytes=0 rd_operations=0 wr_operations=0
> sd0: rd_bytes=0 wr_bytes=0 rd_operations=0 wr_operations=0
>

> is this needed for virt-manager to poll the info or have I only
> forgotten to disable some debugging somewhere? I tried to change loging
> parameter in libvirt.conf but that had no effect (I didnt restart the
> VMs though).

If disk polling is enabled in virt-manager, those messages will be
logged by libvirt. They are coming from the qemu monitor every time disk
stats info is requested. As far as I know there is no way to disable
logging these messages, though it would certainly be handy since they
will quickly take up a lot of room if virt-manager is left running.

You can disable disk polling in virt-manager via Edit->Preferences

- Cole

Old 02-06-2009, 06:50 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:37:58PM +0100, Radek Hladik wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using virt-manager+libvirt+kvmqemu and I noticed today that
> when virt-manager is running and polling VMs stats libvirt log in
> /var/log/libivrt/qemu/vmname is filling with messages like
>
> info blockstats
> ide0-hd0: rd_bytes=16710828032 <http://www.snapanumber.com/>
> wr_bytes=2248787148 <http://www.snapanumber.com/>8 rd_operations=382576
> wr_oper
> ations=1579878
> ide1-cd0: rd_bytes=936448 wr_bytes=0 rd_operations=456 wr_operations=0
> floppy0: rd_bytes=0 wr_bytes=0 rd_operations=0 wr_operations=0
> sd0: rd_bytes=0 wr_bytes=0 rd_operations=0 wr_operations=0
>

> is this needed for virt-manager to poll the info or have I only
> forgotten to disable some debugging somewhere? I tried to change loging
> parameter in libvirt.conf but that had no effect (I didnt restart the
> VMs though).

It is not really virt-manager's fault - its just monitoring disk & net
I/O stats. The problem is libvirt logging every single monitor command
it runs to that file. This needs to be removed, and replaced with
calls to VIR_DEBUG() which is a logging API that's disabled by default

Daniel