Old 01-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Javier Carnero Iglesias

Default paravirtualization on a T7200

Hi guys, I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop with an Intel T7200. I have VT enabled in the BIOS, but virt-manager only allows me to do fully virtualized machines.

Does anyone knows why "paravirtualized" option is disabled for me on virt-manager?

I've some days working on it and i'm totaly lost, any help appreciated, thanks!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Cole Robinson

Javier Carnero Iglesias wrote:
> Hi guys, I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop with an Intel T7200. I have VT
> enabled in the BIOS, but virt-manager only allows me to do fully virtualized
> machines.

FYI, 'fully virtualized' is what VT allows you to use.

> Does anyone knows why "paravirtualized" option is disabled for me on
> virt-manager?
>
> I've some days working on it and i'm totaly lost, any help appreciated,
> thanks!

What distro and hypervisor are you using? (basically, xen or kvm).

If you are using kvm, true paravirtualization isn't a valid option, so
just choose fully virt. Paravirt, in the sense that we represent it,
only applies to xen. Yes, the UI is confusing in this respect, but all
that is slated to change "real soon now".

If you are using xen, please provide:

uname -a
virsh capabilities

Thanks,
Cole

Old 01-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Javier Carnero Iglesias

I'm using kvm in Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64, and I thought kvm could do paravirtualization. So I'll try xen while I'm waiting for a new release of kvm with paravirtualization support.

Thanks a lot Cole, you answered my questions!

I'm using kvm so I guess that's the problem, then I'll try Xen soon.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Stephan

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:31:21 +0100, Javier Carnero Iglesias
<emepetres@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using kvm in Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64, and I thought kvm could do
> paravirtualization. So I'll try xen while I'm waiting for a new release
of
> kvm with paravirtualization support.

If you are on Ubuntu (as I am), the Ubuntu vm builder will give you a
virtual machine with a really cut down OS and a special kernel, so
virtualisation isn't that important (for me anyway) -
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/ubuntu-vm-builder.html

You can also use a special network driver for the guest, "virtio" -
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/technologies/virtualization

Old 01-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Cole Robinson

Javier Carnero Iglesias wrote:
> I'm using kvm in Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64, and I thought kvm could do
> paravirtualization. So I'll try xen while I'm waiting for a new release
> of kvm with paravirtualization support.

Well, I said kvm doesn't offer 'full' paravirtualization like xen, and
it never will. kvm does offer paravirtualized drivers (virtio) for disk
and network devices, which give performance that's more than enough for
most peoples needs.

I don't think Intrepid has the packages needed to run as a xen host, so
your easiest bet is to use kvm. Try a google search for 'ubuntu virtio'
and I'm sure you can find some specific intructions on how to get it all
working.

- Cole

Old 01-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Mark McLoughlin

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 12:31 +0100, Javier Carnero Iglesias wrote:

> I'm using kvm in Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64, and I thought kvm could do
> paravirtualization. So I'll try xen while I'm waiting for a new
> release of kvm with paravirtualization support.

Para-virtualization isn't always better.

KVM uses full virtualization, meaning that it uses the processor's
support for virtualization. This means you can run an unmodified guest
OS on KVM.

If you can modify the guest OS, then KVM *does* allow you to use
paravirtualization for some performance sensitive operations - so e.g.
we've got pvclock, pv MMU and virtio devices.

Don't get tied up in marketing terminology - try both and decide for
yourself which works best for you.

Cheers,
Mark.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Javier Carnero Iglesias

I tried to install xen on ubuntu but it breaks my graphics driver. So I'll come back with kvm and virtio-guest drivers. Anyway kvm works pretty good for me so I think it's the best choice.

Thanks very much for your help, now I have a little more idea on how kvm and xen works.